Employer is reading all email

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by urbanian 10 yrs ago
Good morning,

The MD in my company is reading all email from all employees in a master account. In many European countries this would not be allowed. Can anyone tell me if this is regulated in HK? Or have a suggestion where I can enquire? Thanks.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Beermoney 10 yrs ago
How the heck does a company head/ senior person have the time to read all company emails. Whats the value in doing it tape93?

Beermoney 10 yrs ago
Malka, what value do you get from reading all the mail? I am confused.

urbanian 10 yrs ago
Thanks all for your replies, appreciated.

Oski 10 yrs ago
Company provided email accounts, run on company servers are usually considered as company property. This is true in most countries.

Most larger companies set up keyword, automated monitoring of employee accounts.

many people have gotten in trouble or even fired for inappropriate use of company email.

You should never use your employer provided email for personal/private matters.

afshop 10 yrs ago
There is nothing called personal and private as all the e-mails should be addressed to the company but the employee, as an agent to the company, receive it. If any employee use the company's e-mail for personal purpose, that employee has abused (or misappropriated) the company's property.

Fyi - as Oski said, in many many companies (large or medium sized), they have IT policies of scanning and reading keyword in employee's e-mails.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad