Registering business in HK on a work visa

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by larsbachs 13 yrs ago
I am living in Hong Kong on a work visa and is therefore working for a Hong Kong company. I would like to make a small business (mainly consultancy) in my spare time, but I am a little bit confused about whether or not it is possible.

The problem is, as I understand, that my work visa doesn't allow me to do two jobs or to do independent work. So I assume that my work visa makes it impossible to register a business in Hong Kong? Can anyone confirm if this is correct and if there's some kind of workaround the problem?

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
smallbusiness 13 yrs ago

Dear Lars,

Sellenger is correct, you are allowed to start up your own business in Hong Kong if you are on a work visa.

Moreover, setting up a business in Hong Kong is extremely easy (can be set up in about 11 days for around HK$5,500) and consultancy businesses are perhaps the most popular type of small start up businesses in Hong Kong.

I specialize in advising small start-up business for expat and Hong Kong residents, I handle everything from the formation of Hong Kong companies, license filing, drafting business agreements, establishing company accounts, and other start up requirements in order to get a Hong Kong business up and running.

Please do not hesitate to contact me at company.formation.852@gmail.com for free advice relating to your situation. Would be glad to help.

Best regards,

Jonathon

pizzuto 13 yrs ago
So you can have a registered business, but you can't make payments to yourself. Is that right? Or can you as sole owner, make a payment into your own name?

cinarra 11 yrs ago
If the company is incorporated in Hong Kong but is purely for e-business, is that legal?

There are no employees and I can essentially work from anywhere in the world, with just a laptop in the Palawan Islands, for example.

Thus, goods may be sold anywhere in the world (perhaps even only be distributed online, such as an e-book), is that legal?

josephinelau 11 yrs ago
Dear Lars,

You can incorp a company in HK and working in anywhere else.

You can try contacting sales(at)centreo.hk, the staff there offer free advise on setting up a HK company, taxation and all the information you need.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad