Savings advice needed

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by Marco49 9 yrs ago
I don't trust financial advisers or bankers - so I'll try posting here. I'm 52 years old, and financiallyI'm probablyaverage at best in terms of savings for retirement. So it's something I'm trying to improve. In 2006 I started a managed savings plan with AIA. I pay monthly dividends and the money is invested in a range of investment funds. After 8 yearsthe plan is currently worth substantially less than the premiums I've paid. In other words, my money is NOT doing very well in this plan. So I'm wondering what to do. My adviser at AIA has suggested I switch these savings into a more structured annuity savings plan, which I won't be able to touch for xx years, but she reckons it will offer me a more guarenteed and probably higher return than continuing with the current investment fund mix. Yeah right. Eight years ago I was toldI couldexpect to make 10% per year on my savings.Not surewhat to do - maybe stashing money under the bed is the best way to go. Grateful for any advice.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Baby17 9 yrs ago
Hi there
I am looking for someone to be our mortgager in an oversea property.
We r willing to pay interest of 200k in over a course of 5 years.
If u r interested u can pm me to discuss more or negotiate
Thanks!

AndyLee 9 yrs ago
Tony Robbins' Money, Master the game suggest passive index fund as a saver bet. Active funds are expensive

Onionman 9 yrs ago
Hi there,

It's a difficult one. Firstly, upfront, I provide financial coaching services, which isn't about selling you a product (and I'm not regulated to do so) but about empowering you to take more control and responsibility over your finances. Partly coaching, partly education. Not sales. So whatever I say has that mindset. I'm not saying don't use your financial advisor - just know how to use them.

I would certainly take a step back from the noise of the numbers and focus on the purpose of your money. I say that because a lot people genuinely don't know why they want the money in the first place. They just find some comfort in the fact that they've bought a product suggested to them. But sometimes it's like someone telling you to buy a pair of size 9 blue shoes and you buy it even though you're size 6 and you hate blue.

You say that you are trying to improve your savings for retirement. But the question I would ask is what does "improve" and "retirement" actually represent to you? By first answering that you can make better choices.

I can't speak for or against the specific product you have but let's just say, yes, some have been known to be less reliable than promised.... Fees, market performance, optionality etc etc

If you want to know more about my approach, just PM me and I'll give you the link to my website and we can chat after if it interests you.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad