dogs for a child allergic to dogs?

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by turtlehead 16 yrs ago
My daughter had an allergy test (prick test) and was told she is allergic to the animal furs. She had very strong reaction to our neighbour's cats (I'm not sure what kind they are), had almost no reaction to our cousin's dog (labra-doodle?). I heard poodles are the best dogs to have for those who is allergic to the dogs - it's just that neither my husband nor myself like the looks of it!

Does anyone know the type of dog which is suitable for us? We would like a mid-size dog, i.e. anywhere between jack russell and labrador. I would love beagle but I have a feeing it's not particularly dog-allergy friendly...? I appreciate any info, thank you!

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
hkdood 16 yrs ago
Hi turtlehead,

Do you like the way soft coated wheatens look? They are hypoallergenic. A lot of poodle mixes are hypoallergenic including labradoodles (lab/poodle) and goldendoodles (golden retriever/poodle). These dogs are either half and half or 3/4 poodle (golden or lab/poodle bred back to a poodle) Not all of them are hypoallergenic though, to be safe, the ones that are 3/4 poodle are much more likely to be non shedders. If you want a smaller dog, try a miniature goldendoodle or labradoodle -- they are half miniature poodle and tend to be smaller. Google goldendoodle or labradoodle and a bunch of info will appear. Beagles are definitely NOT allergy friendly! Good luck finding the right dog for your daughter.

axptguy38 16 yrs ago
Rhodesian Ridgebacks are, from what I heard, pretty good for people with allergies. Of course, they are a bit bigger than mid-size and require a lot of energy. Lovely dogs though.

Wiz Bang 16 yrs ago
there is a poodle up for adoption in the pets section here. accdg to the post poodles don't shed and are hypoallergenic

axptguy38 16 yrs ago
Indeed poodles don't shed. Poodles can be nice dogs but they need proper training as their temperament can be a bit mercurial. In other words they are not as naturally predisposed to being docile as a labrador or something.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad