Feeding medicine to kitten

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by raine.m 15 yrs ago
I purchased a 2 months to find she has not been de-wormed. The vet gave me some liquid medicine and asked me to feed it twice a day. Sounds easy, I've been feeding it to her for 2 weeks now, seems the none of it is getting into her stomach.

I'm having difficulty getting her to swallow it. I use a syringe to squirt the liquid medicine into her mouth, but she spits it back out right away. For the next 15mins, she'll have saliva dribbling down her mouth. I was hoping at least some of the medicine will get swallow, but I guess not.

The vet say she won't live much longer if the worms continue to multiply. Even if she lives, it'll effect her growth and organs.

Can anyone tell me if there's a better way to do this?

Should I be putting it in her (canned) food? But I'm afraid if I do that, she won't even eat her food.

Help?

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Devon 15 yrs ago
I'd take her back to the vet and ask him/her to show you exactly how to do it. Maybe you're not putting the syringe into her mouth far enough?

raine.m 15 yrs ago
Thanks for the tips.

missmomo, I was doing everything you said, except for #4.

I was trying for the throat, and holding her mouth close for her to swallow. I did give a small break in between, for her to swallow and clam down. The three different kind of medicine (antibiotics, de-worming, and diarrhea prevention) must taste terrible (it's derived from pills) because even after I wipe her mouth, she begins to dribble again.

I will try to drop it into the SIDE of the mouth.

Is sardine safe for kittens? Because of the worms, she hasn't been vaccinated yet.

Will cats dehydrate, or will they drink water naturally?

There is also a powder I'm suppose to mix water with, to prevent hydration - my kitten doesn't seem to like that either. So, to prevent dehydration, I just have two bowls - one w the mix, one just plain water. Maybe I should not provide and option for her?

Thanks for all your help!

Christelita 15 yrs ago
I hope by now your cat is getting better. Is there another person around who could help you, either by holding the cat while you give the meds, or to give meds while you can use your both hands to hold the cat and control its head / mouth. In extreme cases, you might even want to consider hospitalising the cat for a few days at least, until the meds start kicking in. Vet staff at hospital can ensure medicines end up in the little tummy where they're intended to. - I just cant help to ask also, as you said you purhcased the cat at 8 weeks old and it's not dewormed... was the kitty bought from those infamous Hong Kong pet shops that sell "factory-bred" puppies and kittens in poor health... Generally cats should be at least 12 weeks old before separated from their mother and siblings, and the ones sold in pet shops at hideous prices often unfortunately are too young and too sick for a healthy happy life. I hope for the best any way!

raine.m 15 yrs ago
Hi missmomo,

Sorry for the late reply. Thought I sent a reply, guess it never go through. I had the names of the medication all written down too! I'd have to get you the names another time as I don't have it with me now.

Guess what, 4th vet visit, my kitten is worm-free. In the 3rd visit to the vet, the doctor finally recommended medication in a capsule! A life saver. The capsule contain all the medicine required. What a life saver! Wish he had offered this earlier.

BUT...

Because the kitten wasn't getting it's nutrients, hence low immune system, another problem may have arise from this - ringworm!!

It started with a small irritation on her left eye. I noticed she was squinting her left eye and told the vet so. He said she could of felt irritation hence gave her a eye wash. Later in the week, she was loosing hair around her eye and the area was getting darker. Little by little, more hair lost!!

It freaked me out! 3rd visit to the vet, found out she has 'ringworms'. Since then, she has been on medication (x3), 4th visit, ointment application too. The vet told me to be very careful with the ointment in case it gets in her eye. Therefore, I've been wrapping her in a towel after each application (until it dries), to refrain her from scratching or licking it.

One week later from 5th visit - good news: her left eye is growing tiny hair back, but the skin is still dark. She is still squinting.

bad news: the infection has spread to her tummy.

At this point, my family and friends suggested I give up the kitten since it has so many issues. The breeder did offer to take it back, since it turns out, one of his cats had ringworm too.

It definitely is stressful to deal with this, for both my cat and me. It was heartbreaking to hear my kitten whine when I feed it medicine. She is adorable. She would hide her little head in the towel to escape from the syringe.

It would be easier to let the breeder deal with this... but I didn't want to give it. Who knows what other problems will occur if I give it back to the breeder, right?

So now, I'm keeping the kitten, and doing what I can to heal her. Do all owners go through this kind of experience?

I wish I can show you a photo of her! She is lovable.

raine.m 15 yrs ago
Hi Christelita,

Yes, it does take two of us to feed it medicine. One to hold the kitten wrapped in a towel, and the other to feed it medicine, and lots of soothing words.

I got the kitten through a friends' acquaintance - a breeder. My friend told me of the kitten over the phone, and asked my if my boyfriend was interested. She sent us a photo and suggest we make the decision right away, because once she leaves the breeder's home, she can't guarantee the kitten will still be available. Even if we put a deposit down, it can't guarantee the breeder will hold the same kitten for us when we go visit. Hence, the next day, the kitten was already in our hands at 9 weeks old. On the first day home, was her first visit to the vet.

I assure you, getting a cat wasn't a impulse decision. We have been looking for a kitten, but as you said, pet store are hideous, hence haven't found one that melted our hearts, until now.

In terms of hospitalization, I have asked, but the feedback was - the hospital we were interested in Kowloon area requires a $10,000 deposit. That's crazy!

Anyhow, if you read my previous message, the worm problem is solved. But a new problem arise.

Thanks for your help!

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad