Ultrasonic Dog Repeller

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by Value Proposition 17 yrs ago
My neighbour likes to let his dogs run wild in the lift lobby of our apartment floor. My kids are terrified of them, but all attempts to ask them to keep their dogs on leashes when they are outside of their home (as required by our building's rules) have fallen on deaf ears.

Are those cellphone-sized ultrasonic dog repellers available in Hong Kong ? Where can I buy them ? It'd be good to have one handy when I'm waiting for the lift with my kids.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Devon 17 yrs ago
You're not talking about those things you buzz at the dogs and they drop like stones because of the extreme pain it causes their ears I hope! Remember it's not the dogs' fault they're allowed to run free. Ring the police.

sandiexxxx 17 yrs ago
please don't use that. Address the building management office, I am sorry that your children are so terrified, you could try to be friendly with the dogs, they are probably just so excited to be going out. Ask the owner if they are safe, for you to say hello to them, allow the dog to sniff the back of your hand, as a greeting. Or, ask him when you are outside of the lift area, they could also be just nervous in the lift.

jennysmythe 17 yrs ago
Unacceptable behaviour by the owners of the dogs. I would not try to be friendly with the dogs, the owner is breaking the rules not you. I would inform the building management one last time and if that fails call the police, they will warn the owner.. and as a last resort use a ultrasonic dog repeller - you or your children should not be terrified in your own building because of an irresponsible dog owner. You never know these dogs may not have been innoculated so be careful.

D-Man 17 yrs ago
there is a law in HK that dogs over 20lbs have to be on a leash when out in public whcih includes your building so the owner should be more responsible. The Building management should be informed and should talk to the tenant but taking matters into your own hands could work out bad.

You must also be aware that if you do abuse or harm the dog the owner has the right to report you to the police and with todays animal cruelty laws you could be prosicuted for it so do think carefully.

On the other hand it is pointless to take this out on the dog. I dont understand why so many people in HK grow up and teach their children to be affraid of dogs where there is no need to be. A dog will only attack if provoked or teased by a child so I am positive you and your kids are very safe. Making an effort to over come your own fear and the one you are creating for your kids would be a great step forward.

D-Man 17 yrs ago
Actually they are only breaking the law if the dog is over the weight specified and even if it is they can apply to take the dog to the AFD to be tested and if they believe the dog's behaviour is safe they can allow the dog owner permission to have it off leash.

Animals should not be made to suffer because of peoples personal fears. If the building allows dogs then maybe those people who are too affraid of them should be the ones living somewhere else.

@@ 17 yrs ago
The original poster clearly states the dogs run wild in the lift lobby and that the dogs should be on the leash as per the buildings rules.

I would be sending a letter to the building management, if they can not enforce the rules of the building they aren't doing their job - another letter would swiftly follow to the owners if there was no action taken.

I'm a dog lover but simply think having a dogs of any size left to run around unattended in a lift lobby is very unfair on the other tennants. I don't let my kids run around in the lift lobby either........

As for persoanl fears I think a lot of the time it is to do with experience, if these dog owners didn't let the dogs "run wild" perhaps the children wouldn't be so terrified.

D-Man 17 yrs ago
@@, yes i agree although from a fearfull personsons statement i think 'running wild' could be and is most likely an exageration.

Claire 17 yrs ago
Get a few handfuls of tasty doggy treats. Go into the lobby (sans kids) and press the lift button. When it arrives, toss the treats into the lift and let the dogs follow them. Press the 'G' button and let the management deal with them at the receiving end. Repeat as necessary.

The dogs are unharmed. They get a lovely treat. Other people in the building may become aware of the problem and the management certainly will. You could run a "Guess how times you have to do this before the management company complains to the owner about the dogs being out" game.

Some folks might not approve but it seems kinder than an ultrasonic device and let's face it the police won't do anything till a person is bleeding.

@@ 17 yrs ago
Good call Claire!!

AdelaideMum 17 yrs ago
Please be careful with any action that will frighten/hurt the dogs as they will then associate this action with you and your children - they will see you as something that is a source of pain - and will therefore be more likely to bite out of fear/retaliation. You may not always have the device on you, or your children may be alone (and children's faces are usually at biting height!).

Be careful feeding the dogs also - they may start pestering your children for snacks which can be quite intimidating to small children.

The dogs may be lovely, harmless, biosterous bundles of fur - but it is unfair that you feel threatened by these animals in your own home. I think the video proof is a very good idea.

Until a solution is found, treat the dogs calmly and try to ignore them as much as possible.

Good luck.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad