Dog Related Questions

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by Chloebauer 16 yrs ago
Hi-

My husband and I are moving to HK in March. We were just there last week and signed a place in Causeway Bay because we liked the fact that the Wan Chai dog park promenade was across the street for our doggies to play. However, rumor has it that they are going to not make it a dog park anymore. Does anyone know if this is true?

Also, we are huge hikers and always take our dogs hiking in the States. Are dogs allowed on the trails here (leashed of course)? We were on the HK trail last week and did not see a single dog.

Please advise. Thanks so much!!

Angela

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Chloebauer 16 yrs ago
That's great to hear. Good to know that I can wear them out on weekends with long hikes! Thanks!!

axptguy38 16 yrs ago
I have seen plenty of dogs on the trails on the Island. Apart from keeping other people happy, I would keep him/her leashed so he doesn't wander away and fall off a cliff. If you go off the trails into the underbrush there are treacherous drop-offs.

pady2k 16 yrs ago
Chloe ---

Welcome to HK and you will enjoy both the downtown hustle and bustle in CWB as well as the amazing nature trails that HK has to offer.

you will love the hiking trails here and your dogs will love it even better because they will be doubling back and forth.

I take my dogs every weekend(barring clammy summers) on my hikes and dont leash them. they are huge but very obedient. i let them run ahead and they never go off the trail or down the cliffs or snarl at the other hikers. But when i see hikers with the fearful look in their eyes i call my dogs to me and make them sit until the hikers have passed. I do carry both their leashes in my hands (its more for show and conformity)

By the way, one is a Labrador and the other one is German Shepherd.

On the streets by law they have to be muzzled because they weigh over 20pounds !

moonbear111 16 yrs ago
The "Dangerous Dog Regulation" requires that any dog over 20 kg must be held on a leash not more than 2 metres in length when in a public place. These requirements do not apply to large dogs in country parks or swimming at sea. (I always chuckle at the idea that your large dog is exempt from wearing a leash if at sea.)

The HK Ag & Fish department offers an exemption exam that, if passed, allows you to have your large dog off the leash in public as long as it is wearing its exemption medallion and is under control. Note that many people in HK are very frightened of large dogs, and so sensitivity is called for even if your dog has passed the exam.

Muzzles are only required on certain public transport, if your dog is a "fighting breed" or is a known "dangerous dog" (has attacked or caused serious injury to a person or domestic animal in the absence of provocation of any kind).

See www.afcd.gov.hk for more details.

Chloebauer 16 yrs ago
Funny about the Dangerous Dog Regulation. I don't think people will have a problem with my Husky mix, as she is older and calmer, but my puppy (2yrs old) weighs in at 80 pounds and looks like a great dane/sheperd mix. We were joking around that people will run down the streets screaming in HK because, even though he is such a sweet dog, he is huge compared to other dogs.

In terms of public transportation, what are dogs allowed on (with a muzzle of course) outside of ferries?

axptguy38 16 yrs ago
"Note that many people in HK are very frightened of large dogs, and so sensitivity is called for even if your dog has passed the exam."

I have noticed this trend in many place. Cultural. Western Europeans and North Americans are, on the norm, fairly comfortable even around large animals. In other cultures, where dogs are not seen as pets but as guards, people on average are much more fearful.

One can also note that the streets of HK are much more crowded than the streets of, say, San Francisco, so the muzzle law does make some sense.

Chloebauer 16 yrs ago
Cara-

Thanks for your feedback. Our dogs are definitely not dangerous, however we will probably avoid high traffic areas and times just to avoid any problems.

Do you know of any special vans companies that we can look into? We need to find one to bring them back from the airport. I already got the permits and paperwork done on my end. Now we just need transportation. Most companies don't do just transportation but require for us to purchase the entire package (ie permit, license, paperwork, etc). As we were just in HK, I have everything already done, so all we need is a van to drive them to CWB.

Thanks!

Chloebauer 16 yrs ago
Thanks Cara! Appreciate all your help.

Not sure, since they are pretty decent sized dogs, how taxis will feel about driving them. We'll probably need to take two cars- one for each dog and us. Either way, we'll figure it out and get them home! :)

axptguy38 16 yrs ago
I also sent you a pm with a number that might help.

Sapphire 16 yrs ago
Chloebauer ~ We have a large dog (around 27kgs) and we've never had a problem taking her in taxis if we've needed to take her to the vet for example. Just a little bit of advice however ... after a long flight, dogs can be disorientated/anxious/excitable/etc, which may be a bit of a problem in a confined space like a cab, expecially if the driver is of a nervous dispositon as far as dogs are concerned. Your best bet would probably be a van, as suggested by Cara. Or try calling one of the Kennels her such as Ferndale to see if they can help, or put you in touch with someone. Hope all goes well with the move!

julianabonfa 16 yrs ago
Hi Cloe & Pady, I saw your messages and would like to make contact with you as I should aldo be moving to HK next April and I'm taking my dog with me. We both like outdoor sports and it would be good if we could get together sometime and meet. My email is julianabonfa@mac.com

JenV 16 yrs ago
Hi Everyone,

Great to read your comments. My boxer is arriving in about 2 weeks. It would be great for her to have a few friends here in HK. We like to hike and swim! I am in mid-levels.

moonbear111 16 yrs ago
Chloe, be aware that you may run into some challenging situations with your Great Dane/Shepherd mix. Your joke about people running down the street screaming may not necessarily be an exaggeration. Our dog is a sweet, 80 lb German Shepherd, lovely with people and very well trained. People in Hong Kong have literally fled at the sight of her. One hysterical woman actually flung herself off the trail and into the bushes, screaming at the top of her lungs, when she saw us approaching (my dog walking quietly at heel, on a leash). Many Shepherds here are trained (often cruelly) as vicious guard dogs, unstable and unpredictable, so its no wonder people have a genuine fear of them.

We have encountered all sorts of resistance and prejudice against large dogs -- people yelling at us when we try to get on elevators, yelling at us on the trails, taxi drivers refusing to take us (to the point where we finally bought a car, just to take her places), and people writing letters of complaint to our apartment management because the mere sight of our dog left them in "fear for their lives and the lives of their children". (Seriously.) Our apartment management has tried to force us to muzzle her when we take her out, simply because she is "big and scary," although muzzling in her case is neither required by law, nor justified by any behavior on her part.

We have made some progress by inviting the management to training sessions (they are soon won over when she will sit and shake and speak for them). We let children play with her out in the parking area so people can see how gentle she is. We've introduced her to all the guard staff and regularly have treats for them to give to her. Hopefully, things will continue to improve as we try for better dog-people relations.

Good luck!

axptguy38 16 yrs ago
"Many Shepherds here are trained (often cruelly) as vicious guard dogs, unstable and unpredictable, so its no wonder people have a genuine fear of them."

Very cultural indeed. I have found the same thing in Italy and with Hispanics in the US. In Italy people keep their dogs outdoors as guards. In Northern Europe they are kept in the house. An old boss of mine, a half Cuban, half American lady, used to say that it was very simple. For Hispanics, a dog is a dog. For Americans, a dog is a friend.

"One hysterical woman actually flung herself off the trail and into the bushes, screaming at the top of her lungs,"

Oh dear. I don't know whether to laugh or cry. If nothing else, this "method" of confronting fear is not very helpful in any situation. Talk about wasting two million years of evolution and letting the old lizard brain lead.

Chloebauer 16 yrs ago
Hi all-

Yes the flinging to the bushes left me in the same state- either laugh or cry. When Bauer was a puppy, I had a man jump on a ledge and almost topple over in fear of him. It's very sad to hear these situations, and I appreciate your honesty.

I'd love to meet you all when I arrive in Hong Kong. We are living in Causeway Bay- right across from the Wan Chai dog park. You can PM me your personal emails.

Chloebauer 16 yrs ago
Hi all-

Yes the flinging to the bushes left me in the same state- either laugh or cry. When Bauer was a puppy, I had a man jump on a ledge and almost topple over in fear of him. It's very sad to hear these situations, and I appreciate your honesty.

I'd love to meet you all when I arrive in Hong Kong. We are living in Causeway Bay- right across from the Wan Chai dog park. You can PM me your personal emails.

Chloebauer 16 yrs ago
Oops, this went through 4 times! Sorry! Darn server issues!

Susie1 16 yrs ago
If you get fed up with CWB, Discovery Bay is the place I recommend for dogs, they are everywhere, and there are plenty of hills to hike with the dogs

Chloebauer 16 yrs ago
Perfect! Thanks Cara and Susie1!

kimmy 16 yrs ago
There's Bowen Road which is quite close to Wanchai/CWB area.

Actually - is Bowen Road safe to walk dogs these days?

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad