Urgent help!! Awful smell from pets

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by 4G 16 yrs ago
HI everybody

I am really sick and tired of the smell given off by the pets from our neighbours house .It is just so unbearable that we cannot breathe whilst waiting for the lift to arrive .They have many cats and some dogs all in 1 apartment . The management is not able to do anything ,I have spent hundreds if not thousands on all the freshners, essential oils ,candles and cleaners ,but no success

Please I desperately need some advice on how to tackle this problem since I am really worried about the health effects it can cause to my small kids and ourselves

Thanks well in advance

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
neenib 16 yrs ago
Have you spoken to the neighbours and let them know how bad it is? Maybe call a bluff and say you will contact authorities to complain and have the animals removed if nothing is done about the smell?

I think Management should be obliged to do something given the area outside the apartments is a common area therefore they should at least do something about the smell in that area. I would keep in management's back about it and make a nuisance of yourself until they agree to do something.

It amazes me that people can be so oblivious to things, how can someone not know how bad their place smells. Makes me sick just thinking about it. I really feel for you, it must be horrible.

axptguy38 16 yrs ago
Man, I would hate that. I agree with neenib about calling in the authorities.

Dogs and cats need not smell badly. There are ways to control the smell. Unfortunately this case is outside your direct control. But anyway here are some "tips" you can give them:

- Brush teeth of cats and dogs daily or at least 2x/week.

- Feed them good dogfood/catfood. This tends to decrease smell.

- Brush coat daily.

- Bathe dogs every week or two with a dog shampoo (not a human shampoo).

- Vacuum very few days.

- Add a little garlic to the dog's meals to control breath.

spaceren 16 yrs ago
Isn't garlic considered toxic for dogs?

http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pagename=pro_apcc_poisonsafe

4G 16 yrs ago
Thanks all,

Management has tried talking to them ,management has tried cleaning the place few times in a day ,but its just plain awful,the worst early in the mornings till the management cleaners come to site .We have lived in this place for so many years and have always had neighbours with pets namely dogs ,but have never ever been bothered by the smell .The most important thing that I cannot understand is how can the family live in the apartment if the smell outside in common area is so bad .Even the back door area smells so bad that the smell bothers my maid whose room is towards the back door .Even when she has to throw the garbage she has to cover her nose for those few seconds .

What authorities does one complain to and is it acceptable to do so

Taylor12 16 yrs ago
Isn't this more an animal welfare issue, to have many dogs and cats in the same apartment? You could possibly consult the SPCA?

neenib 16 yrs ago
Absolutely, start with the SPCA. They should be able to tell you what the regulation is for certain number of pets in apartments (if there is a regulation over here) and may be able to provide you with an authority you can speak to.

I hope you can sort it out.

4G 16 yrs ago
thanks everyone who tried to offer advice ,just feel your not alone in this mess

Thank you

axptguy38 16 yrs ago
Agreed with the above. Contact the SPCA. It is quite possible that the animals are being kept in inhumane condition.

"Isn't garlic considered toxic for dogs?"

Onion is toxic. Garlic was actually recommended to me by a breeder. Very small amounts of course.

neenib 16 yrs ago
I think this is more of problem than just and "odour" that a purifier can fix. This sounds more like a major stench of epic proportions!!

4G, I meant to ask, does the smell go through into your apartment? If so, then that is definitely grounds for complaint and for urgent action.

4G 16 yrs ago
Actually all around my house I have candles , essence burning , at all different times in the day , so actually havent kept track of that , but the minute I open either front door or back door ,I am just unable to breathe at all .

I should think it would be a major health issue for me and my family .

Im wondering how far is someone entitled to do whatever they like in their own house ,at the cost of affecting immediate neighbours by such irresponsible and SELFISH acts.

foxmulder 16 yrs ago
You might have an action for damages and an injunction for nuisance. see my response above re incessant barking by neighbour's dog.

edelg 16 yrs ago
'Add a little garlic to the dog's meals to control breath.'

Yep, garlic is toxic to dogs. If the flat smells that bad theres a chance they're mistreating the animals, not cleaning up after them. Bad for you and for these pets next door. Call in the authorities asap, but be prepared for the fallout from your neighbours.

4G 16 yrs ago
Whats the worst case scenario regarding fallout from neighbours ....

Sapphire 16 yrs ago
As a temporary fix I'd buy a bulk supply of the strongest disinfectant that you can find (Zoflora is good if you can find it!), empty it into a spray bottle and regularly spray the walls/doors (theirs!) and floors in your communal area. It won't fix the problem but it may help until you can get your management or the relevant department to sort it out for you.

kim.constable 16 yrs ago
My gosh, how many animals are in there?

Surely there are rules regarding the number of animals allowed in an apartment?

Regardless of the fallout with your neighbour, I'd be calling the authorities.

For me, the stink (while unbearable) would not be my first concern, what about the cruel treatment of those poor animals??

Pets are not suited to apartments!

4G 16 yrs ago
Yes kim,that is what I thought ,cruelty to animals , but someone said they can do whatever they like in their apartment .....

Sapphire ,yes I ahev done all of that ,emptying out essential oils , fragrance oils etc etc ,burning essence evrything but the minute that evaporates its hell again,especially as I said early in the morning when kids are going to school , we cant breathe while waiting for the lift .Once the cleaners are in it just barely gets bearable

Zorglub 15 yrs ago
This is ridiculous, if people could "do whatever they want in their apartment", then anyone would get away with murder as long as it was happening in their house.

There ARE rules as to how many paets you can have in a house, a woman was prosecuted not so long ago for having too many pets and not being able to take care of them. Neighbours complained because of noise/smell and authorities took over, SPCA or a similar organisation even helped her retain her pets (they were pets, not some horrible breeding thing) in another venue and taught her how to care for them properly despite their number.

From what you describe, it may very well be the case here, too many pets to handle, or just plain neglect. Cats and dogs don't have a strong smell, unlike large farm animals, as long as you wash them regularly and feed them properly, as others have said above.

You do have a case. If they won't respect their neighbours, then you can take it up with the police and the SPCA. You can also formally complain to their landlords, or the owners' association if they own their flat.

mchew 15 yrs ago
If your neighbor had just purchased these animals from a pet store, chances are, they will smell because the pet stores do not take care of them. A lot has to do with the food (or the lack thereof) that the pet store provide the animals, and the inhumane conditions that they are under. If you know that your neighbor had just had the pets, then this may possibly be the case.

You mentioned that management had tried contacting them and clean the site...I'm not sure if management had contacted your neighbor succesfully so that they can clean the site? Do you know if your neighbor was being cooperative? Have you talked to your neighbor yourself?

The worst thing to do is to resort to the authorities and the SPCA, unless you feel that all actions are taken, since animals are the one who suffer at the end of the day.

Best of luck.

4G 15 yrs ago
Thanks everybody for all your advise .I have spoken to management and now am going to report the matter to their superiors ,and then wait and watch to see the outcome

I am told there are 7 cats and 2 dogs in the appartment ,but ofcourse have not seen myself .

Have bought a disinfectant deodorizer spray bottle so every time i open my front door i spray the common area and then step out .....

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad