A second dog?

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by Devon 15 yrs ago
His new behaviour is classic separation anxiety. There are several other behaviours that stem from being isolated which can be barking, whining, scratching at doors etc. Advice as to what to do is too long to do here so PM me if you like. Another dog would probably help as would HEAPS of exercise. (er..the dog, not you! lol!)

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
edelg 15 yrs ago
Hi there,

Just saw your post. I had one dog a year ago and though she was not displaying a huge amount of negative behaviour as I would usually get home to her most lunch breaks I adopted a comanion for her, another small female dog. One year on they get on great and are fantastic company for each other. I still worry for them when I'm out of the house but I cannot imagine one with out the other now. I cannot claim to offer any advise to you, as a resonsible pet owner you know what having another pet would entail but all I can say is that in my case it's been really positive. I fostered first to make sure the new dog was a good 'fit' with my first dog and also took her to meet all the rescue dogs we were interested in, I adopted from HKDR and they were really great. Best of luck wahtever you decide!

djswazi 15 yrs ago
Heaps of excersise, Like devon said, if your walks are to short cause of time or your tired after work, consider finding a real cheap second had tread mill, teach him or her to run on it, its fun,.. if im running late at nite , i put my Lab on the tread mill , let her do a 2k cruz while i eat dinner and then take her for a 45min walk.

djswazi 15 yrs ago
sorry , as for the second dog, It could be double trouble.

But it may help to keep each other company.

TLW888 15 yrs ago
My personal experience, and the experience of the vast majority of my dog owning friends is that a second dog is about 5% more work than a single one but goes a long way in terms of happy dog ownership.

They can play and tire themselves out, and won't get into destructive behaviour because of boredom. Even my friends almost "uncontrollable" Husky has calmed down soo much you won't believe it's the same dog. Their place still bears the Husky teeth marks, but since the second dog arrived he was sort of transformed.. No destructive behaviours anymore.

I suggest you foster a compatible size dog from a shelter for a while to see if they get along and if it does change the behaviour of your "old" one and only fully adopt when it works out for you. Don't just dump the new dog on the old one and leave for work though ;)

Meems 15 yrs ago
I totally agree on bringing "a friend" in to keep him company. He is feeling neglected, lonely and insecure now, so he gets frustrated and bark, mess up the place, pee or poo everywhere. I picked up this stray and whenever he's home alone, he freaks out and tries to dig a hole by the door and do all the nasty stuff. Then I got this other stray dog in, they get alone and everything seems ok for the past 2 years. More work and it's hard taking them both out, but worth it you really love them.

TLW888 15 yrs ago
Mr. H pls. keep us updated on the progress :)

Devon 15 yrs ago
Perfect!

djswazi 15 yrs ago
dam your lucky , i need neighbours like that.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad