Where to get a dog?

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by michtan 15 yrs ago
Hi,

I intend to get a Chihuahua. Any pet shop to recommend beside the few shops located at prince edward? Thanks.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Pumpkin Girl 15 yrs ago
None of the pet shops in HK selling dogs are recommended. SPCA did a survey that showed that 70% of dogs bought in pet shops became ill within 7 days. Many die. They come from appalling breeding conditions and many are smuggled in from Mainland China.

Do you know anything about chihuahuas? They are big dogs in a small dogs body and can be extremely fisty. Low maintanance they are not. Loads of them are abandoned by owners who bought thinking that they were just that (low maintanance) and then found they couldn't cope.

Good luck if you decide to go ahead with a purchase.

hkshareflats 15 yrs ago
http://www.hongkongdogrescue.com/public/index.php

STK 15 yrs ago
Please try and get a small dog from Hong Kong Dog Rescue or the SPCA - I cant tell you enough how many abandoned dogs there are here

Sapphire 15 yrs ago
Please, under no circumstances should you get a dog from a pet shop. Go along to HKDR where they have many wonderful dogs needing loving homes.

Lovefordogs 15 yrs ago
Please do not buy from a pet shop! I am currently looking after an extremely ill chihuahua puppy that was dumped in the bin as a result of being ill in a pet shop - she is fighting for her life now. If you buy from a pet shop....you are supporting this! I have 2 Chihuahuas myself, and both were rescued. Many Chihuahuas get abandoned frequently as people see them as a 'toy' dog....They are a highly intelligent breed and if not given the sufficient mental and physical stimulation they will get easily depressed, and can misbehave through no fault of their own.

If you are really set on getting a Chihuahua PLEASE contact ALL of the animal welfare organisations in Hong Kong. You may have to wait for one, but trust me ... it is a much better solution to getting a healthy Chihuahua....and you would have saved a life!

djswazi 15 yrs ago
attack,attack, crickey

jassy67 15 yrs ago
My friend bought from pet store and about 2 weeks later the dog AND car were both sick.

Please get from SPCA or HKDR

Pumpkin Girl 15 yrs ago

Posted by djswazi:

attack,attack, crickey

Hi Djswazi

Yes, it's a battle. 2000 unwanted dogs and cats are destroyed by HK Govt each month. With those kinds of statistics, you tell me which you think is the right side to be on.

michtan 15 yrs ago
Oh dear! I'm so sorry that i no idea the situation is so bad in HKG. I used to have a chihuahua and thought of getting one again after she died of old age. It's my 1st time getting a pup in HKG and I totally had no clue where i can get one. Maybe i should reconsider since i have kids at home. Maybe i should register my interest with SPCA & HKDR. Thanks alot guys.

wholetthedogzout 15 yrs ago
Hi Michtan,

SPCA and HKDR are both great and there's one more.

You can also try LAP, Lifelong Animal Protection Charity to find your perfect dog. http://www.lap.org.hk/ They have dog adoption days on every other sundays. There's one coming up this sunday.

Wish you best of luck finding THE special one. :)

HongKongDogRescue 15 yrs ago
At the moment HKDR have 2 chihuahuas needing homes, and we get these small breeds in on a regular basis. Some of them have even been been dumped by breeders in country parks to die. If you go to pet shops to get your dogs you need to think about where these puppies came from and what sort of life their mothers are forced to live. You don't need to pay $$$ to get what may even be a sick or dying puppy when there are so many available at any of the rescue organisations.

Ed 15 yrs ago
Let's get this link back up - there are so many excellent dogs already in HK that need homes... http://www.hongkongdogrescue.com/public/index.php

HongKongDogRescue 15 yrs ago
There's absolutely no guarantee that an imported puppy will be any better or healthier than any other. If you buy unseen you'll get the "leftovers" that nobody else wants. We've seen plenty of them with all the same inbred problems that all so-called purebreeds have. Think about it, what sort of breeder would send their puppies to unknown homes in a far off country? Not one that cared about their dogs, that's for sure. Adoption saves lives, buying just promotes a sad and cruel trade in helpless puppies.

maya67 14 yrs ago
haha, this sounds real nice theoretically. i have tried them all: SPCA, HK dog rescue, sunday puppies in ap lei chau etc etc. these charity organisation are really bad. they do not give you a dog if you do not fit perfectly onto their requirements. for example if you have a real life with a job. i could not get a dog from them and am forced to by my chihuahua froma pet shop.

for all those who recommend here, pelase check your consults first, they only are valid for a small minority.

TLW888 14 yrs ago

If you can't care for a dog because you are at work from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. you should not get a dog. Period.

And that's why any responsible animal charity will NOT give you one.

Chances are you will abandon your Chihuahua anyways after a short while, because it WILL start to chew your furniture and pee on your sofa because it's bored and lonely and does not get walked all day long ...

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad