Dog allergy (maybe)

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by ant108 14 yrs ago
Hi everyone,

We have had a rescue dog for around 9 months now and are getting concerned about a reaction with our daughters skin which has progressively got worse since around the time we got the dog. She had eczema already, but have been noticing that it has been getting worse and in addition she also has developed an allergic reaction to something (maybe the dog, we don't know - but a doctor friend of ours believes it may be having heard the full story). Unfortunately, our health provider won't pay for an allergy test.

So - we were thinking about moving our dog into a kennel, or perhaps to a dog walker for a few days or a week or so to see if we can't work out what the problem might be. If the skin condition clears up over the week, it gives us a pretty clear indication that its probably dog related. If not, we know its something else and can try the next idea.

Can anyone recommend anyone - whether a private person or a company?

+ has anyone experienced anything similar before? Any tips or thoughts? We don't want to have to re-home our dog, but its difficult when you see your child's health compromised.

Many thanks, Anthony.

PS the dog is a female HK village dog.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
julieannpe 14 yrs ago
To be honest the only true way you will find out if your daughter is allergic to the dog, is by having a skin test or blood test.

Having the dog leave for a few days wont help unless you plan to have cleaners come in and clean the flat top to bottom.

generaly it is the Dander on the dog that people are allergic.

I mild anti histamine will work, but if she is very young it is better to be sure she has allergies and have the doctor prescribe.

You could take some of your dogs saliva and put on her skin directly to see the reaction , but this does not always work

you really need to get a test ! it would be a shme to rehome the dog and discover it was not the dog.

As I said you need to get her out the house and away from the dog for a few days not the other way around!

byng 14 yrs ago
Allergy is has no clue so far. The best medicine so far researched is still not a sure win.

Try Xango Juice which came from America but using the whole Mangosteen from Asia.

Susie1 14 yrs ago
I think you can get shampoos for the dog which reduce dander, also don't let your child cuddle up close to the dog, and get her to wash her hands after stroking it.

Years ago my son developed very severe excema, needed hospitalisation, he was 9yrs old, Drs convinced us at the time to find our Lassie collie another home, so a friend looked after her, guess what my son is nearly 40 no dogs or cats, and still has excema, and asthma bad so don't always blame the dog, at least we saw our dog grow up to be an old lady because she was with our friends. and no one ever would convince me to find another home for any dog that I own again.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad