Help! Dog import process.

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by GianniG 8 yrs ago
Hi there,

I've just moved to HK and am figuring out how to get my dog here from the states. I'm working with a couple of relo companies to do it, but the fees are very pricy to handle everything.

Is there anyone out there who's had experience bringing their pet from the US to HK? Or anywhere else to HK really. I just need to understand the basic process. Here's what I've gathered so far:

-Apply for an import permit with the HK government
-Receive permit, valid for 6 months
-Make sure dog's vaccinations are up to date (older than 30 days for some, older than 14 days for some, but all more recent than 1 year)
-Gather all certificates and fill out forms with vet, send to government vet (USDA vet?) to certify within 14 days of dog's flight
-Dog's flight via cargo (is direct route required?)
-Go get dog at airport
-Show all paperwork (does the paperwork travel with my dog? What about the permit? What part do I hold on to?)
-Clear her through customs (what needs to happen here?)
-Get her re-chipped with AVID chip (she already is chipped with a homeagain chip, but I've read they need an Avid in HK)
-Get her licensed and registered in HK

One thing to add is that I'm already in Hong Kong and my dog is staying with a friend in the states. This will affect how the paperwork is handled and where it goes and where it stays I suppose.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you!

-GG

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Lina0418 8 yrs ago
Hi GG,

I just brought my dog from San Francisco about a month ago. You pretty much have everything covered.

You need the original import permit here in HK to pick her up.
The copy of the permit will be needed by the transporting airline.
All original documents travel with your dog.
What you need from your vet is the Animal health certificate, the international health certificate (your vet will create this for USDA) and recent vaccination certificates (rabies and DAP or DAPP).
Use the Animal health certificate from AFCD. You can download it from:
http://www.afcd.gov.hk/textonly/english/quarantine/qua_ie/qua_ie_ipab/qua_ie_ipab_idc/files/VC_DC2_Sep15E_v1.pdf

Once your friend had the papers from an accredited vet he will have to send it to the USDA for endorsement.

Direct flight is preferred but not mandatory. If you need connecting flight try to travel through a group 1 or group 2 country.

I used United's Pet Safe and they were very helpful.

When your dog arrives to HK you pick her up at one of the 3 freight terminals depending on what airline you are using.
First you deal with the paperwork at customs. They only need the airline's reference number which your friend can send you and the original import permit. You pay a minimal fee here. Mine was about HK$50 but I'm not sure if this is affected by the size of your dog or not.
Then you go to the cargo hold and fill out some other papers. You will meet your dog there and they take care of the new microchip and rabies re-vaccination there.
You pay HK$80 for this and than you are free to go with your dog.

I hope I covered all your questions. If you need anything else just ask. :)

Cheers,
Nora

Please support our advertisers:

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad