owning a dog in hong kong?

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by westie 16 yrs ago
I will be moving to hong kong later in the year and have resigned myself to not having a dog around. Am I right to think that it will be hard to find housing with outdoor space for a dog? Will be earning O.K. money, but not big bucks.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
westie 16 yrs ago
Small dog. Would want too hire a dog walker for when i am at work, in addition to daily walks with me. I would not have a dog unless it was possible to take it when I leave HK. Budget for housing is something I am still pondering ...

moonbear111 16 yrs ago
To have an outdoor garden, you will either need a large budget to live relatively close to Central (like HKD$200,000 per month) or you will need to commute 45 minutes to an hour for something more affordable. Even assuming you can do either of these, the heat and humidity is a problem for most breeds. I've heard from my vet that each year in HK, more dogs die of heat stroke than from any other ailment.

westie 16 yrs ago
Thanks for that info. That is WAY more than I can afford. Guess I'll have to bond with the idog :(

moonbear111 16 yrs ago
Is having it live indoors out of the question? The primary concerns then would be:

(1) as dogs are pack animals, they get lonely if left alone all day, so you could just get two to keep each other company!

(2) it would need exercise, but it sounds like you have a plan for that.

It can be done. We have a huge German Shepherd who lives in our small apartment (no garden) and she seems perfectly content. Our work schedules are such that someone is home at almost all times to keep her company and we exercise her about 2 hours every day.

axptguy38 16 yrs ago
"Would want too hire a dog walker for when i am at work,"

If you have a helper, she could do this. That would also solve the company problem.

NZlawyergirl 16 yrs ago
Agree with all of the above re commute and gardens. If the dog is a small one then I also agree that they should be ok to become an indoor dog (depending on the temperament of the dog). Otherwise, for interest, we used to live out near Gold Coast, NT (a 45 min commute to Central) and had a ground floor/1st floor duplex apartment (1800 sq ft) with a garden which would have been perfect for a small dog. This was a few years ago but I guess the rent there would be around $30K - 35K ish.

Charley666 16 yrs ago
We brought a dog over with us from UK and we got one whilst over here. If you prepared to live in the New Territories then it should be a problem as there are lots of villages, we pay $4,500. Also Lamma Island is extremely dog friendly, if you are interested I have a friend who runs an animal protection agency who could point you in the right direction (she is who we got our dog from) most places HK side wont allow dogs and its not really worth the hassle of having to hide the fact that you have.

BV 16 yrs ago
You can definately own a dog here without too much drama. I would recommend either Discovery Bay or Sai Kung - both are very 'outdoorsy', with lots of fellow dog owners and lots of options for outdoor dog exercise. You should be able to get a place with an outdoor area for anything up to $50,000 rent. Heaps of different options. Although, as others have suggested, you will have a bit of a commute if you are working in town. If you bring a dog up from Aus (I'm assuming from your username that you're from Sydney??!!) and get the vet checks done properly before you leave, there is only a 4 week quarantine when you return. Not sure what the situation is if you get your dog up here though. Personally, I think you can't beat the Sai Kung area - it's very beautiful and a fantastic community (for dogs and people!).

westie 16 yrs ago
Many thanks for the replies. I will look at all of the areas suggested when I arrive in HK. It is nice to know that it is a possibility if I live off of the island. I am pretty happy with the 4 week quarantine to go back to oz - I had assumed it would be longer. It makes it a more realistic option, as I know I couldn't bear to put a dog in quarantine for months.

sona 16 yrs ago
PM me i can introduce dog walker in HK isaland.

isabelle 13 yrs ago
it's ok not to have a garden! u just need to make sure u have time to walk your dog! i live in a small flat, and have a german shepherd. i walk him half an hour before work, an hour after work, and half an hour run/ playing catch before bedtime. if u want a dog, that's what u've got to be prepared for. if u are super busy, and have no time for stuff like this, then just get some goldfish...

Devon 13 yrs ago
Is this "the isabelle" who wanted help to save her German Shepherd after it bit a chihuahua?

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad