Doggie park

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by AngieC 16 yrs ago
Hi there

apparently there is a doggie park in WanChai - a park that allows dogs to go in, anyone know where is it and how to get there??

tks

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
FKKC 16 yrs ago
The dog's park is at the waterfront of the harbour near the Wanchai Ferry Pier.

You can reach there by any bus that have a sign indicating Wanchai Pier. Probably it's better to take a taxi.

AngieC 16 yrs ago
any idea how to say it in cantonese?

is there a huge lawn for dogs to run around in?

tks a lot!

axptguy38 16 yrs ago
My Cantonese is extremely limited and it is hard to transliterate into Latin characters, but I'll give it a shot:

Dog - gau

Wan Chai - Wahn Tsai

Park - gong-yuen

So I think you could say: "Mm-goi, bin-doh hai Wahn Tsai gau-gong-yuen?" - "Excuse me, where is the Wan Chai dog park?"

To a taxi driver: "Mm-goi, hoi Wahn Tsai gau-gong-yuen." - Please go to the Wan Chai dog park.

I hope someone with better Cantonese can improve that (and laugh at my attempt).

AngieC 16 yrs ago
ha ha - this is great! thanks a lot! i hope that gets me and my dog where we want to go!

axptguy38 16 yrs ago
"i hope that gets me and my dog where we want to go!"

I hope I haven't made you call the taxi driver a mindless tool of the totalitarian Beijing regime or something. ;) Jokes aside, the worst you'll probably get is a blank stare.

Some notes on pronounciation:

- "yuen" is pronounced as the Germans would say "yün". The vowel sound is somewhere between the English "u" and "i". Closer to "u". Perhaps if you try to say "June" with an "i" instead of the "j".

- "Tsai" has a very soft initial sound, almost "chai".

- "doh" is pronounced like "doe" (a female deer).

Digital Blonde 16 yrs ago
or just like homer simpson says it only a little less sharp

-sa 16 yrs ago
Angie C, The dog run in WanChai does not have any grass and there is little shade. I have heard ladies in high heels parade their dogs out there as well when the weather is nice. So smaller dog may be ok if you have one, but if you have a bigger one who likes to run, take him/her to Victoria Gardens on the Peak all the way to the top till you can go no further. Its a default dog place in the mornings and has big signs that says no dogs allowed off leash, but most do from early hours of the morning till about 9-10am. There is also a small patch of grass for dogs to run around on Hospital path off of Barker Road.

FKKC 16 yrs ago
If I were you, I'll ask someone to write your destination in Chinese characters on a piece of paper and just show it to the taxi driver.

axptguy38 16 yrs ago
"If I were you, I'll ask someone to write your destination in Chinese characters on a piece of paper and just show it to the taxi driver."

Good idea.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad