Where to get a purebred pup

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by Dillon 15 yrs ago
While I recommend a dog from rescue (ours came from SPCA), a friend would like to adopt a small dog, pure bred. I told him not to go to the pet stores. So, where can he go to look at quality breed dogs? He is unsure of the breed he wants.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
sandiexxxx 15 yrs ago
agree with Sandydee, please have your friend go check out HK dog rescue, or talk to Kirsten as she often has dogs pure bred or not, available to the right people. Kirsten 9490 2061

OzyOS 15 yrs ago
My dog was also a pure bred from HKDR..not that we specifically went there looking for a pure bred, it just turned out that he was...all of those little darlings are too easy to fall inlove with..bless their little hearts!

Dillon 15 yrs ago
Thanks so VERY much... I will relay the info..

CatherineTromans 15 yrs ago
Hi, I got my little bulldog from SPCA in Wanchai, He is a very healthy little guy and haven't had any of the health issues I did with my first bulldog who I bought from a pet shop (foolish and not something I'd recommend anyone doing) I go into the SPCA often and am always amazed at the amount of pedigree pups they have (amazed people have paid so much for them then given up!) There are a lot of purebreds popping up on here recently but they aren't usually pups.... Dog Lovers?! who have had them for a few years and now can't be bothered to take them overseas with them (I struggle to understand this!!!!) You can call the SPCA to ask about available dogs or check out their website... Also, on saturday I met a fabulous lady In Sai Kung who was trying to home some pups, I have her details if you'd like? They weren't purebred but were lovely looking and really in need of a home...

Catherine

thundercatchergo 15 yrs ago
we have two pure breed chinese street dogs from HKDR. they are the greatest dogs ever!!!

Devon 15 yrs ago
Pedigree street dogs?

axptguy38 15 yrs ago
There are purebreds at the rescues. There tends to be a waiting list since they are rarer, especially puppies. Also some breeds are rarer than others.

Another option is to import a dog from, for example, Australia or New Zealand. We did this and couldn't be happier. Not all breeders wish to ship though.

Pumpkin Girl 15 yrs ago
Bear in mind that many pure breeds should be renamed poorly breeds. They are often the result of interbreeding and few breeders in HK are experienced or care enough to match the dogs well that they use for breeding, which can result in terrible health problems for the dogs. Not to mention the unbearable conditions that the breeding dogs are kept in. This is not a kind industry.

Don't ignore Hong Kong originals - designed by nature, these are generally hardy, healthy dogs. Choose by personality not looks and you won't regret it.

HongKongDogRescue 15 yrs ago
Please don't even think about importing dogs or buying from pet shops. Look at all the other posts regarding abandoned dogs and the numbers of dogs killed every year simply because they are unwanted. HK really doesn't need to import even more dogs when there are plenty at the rescue organsisations. Hong Kong Dog Rescue have small and large purebreeds, but yes, the pure mutts are the best. If you're worried about vet costs, look at the variety of mixes available. They come in small, medium and large sizes and are way stronger and healthier than inbred breeds. (Yesterday's intake included a 1 yr pom cross, a 2 yr chihuahua, a 2 yr chihuahua cross, a long haired dachshund, 4 shih tzu/beagle cross baby pups).

abl 15 yrs ago
I have 3 rescue dogs, all cross-breeds, with none of the hip and other congenital problems associated with pure breeds. and also of the right size for living in Hong Kong. Extremely loyal and affectionate too, even though I adopted them when they were no longer puppies. So it is not true that you can only form a strong bond when you have a dog from puppyhood. Rescue dogs will appreciate you even more!

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad