Moving to Singapore - Suggestions needed for our 6 mnth old puppy

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by divyaj 15 yrs ago
Hello all, We are moving to Singapore and our pet pooch is coming with us. Any suggestions regarding the places to rent and how to handle the quarantine period (1 month) will be really appreciated. Our puppy is a six month old mutt (fairly big now). Thanks a lot

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
sandiexxxx 15 yrs ago
Hi, not sure its still applicable, but I was allowed to visit the dog while in quarantine. Again, like HK you will have to ask if your allowed a pet, you may have to make an additional security deposit against any damage done by the pet. Each building is different. Its also a bit more dog friendly than here, but in country parks you may have to keep on leash at weekends, as too many people around, and in the reservoir area.

good luck !

divyaj 15 yrs ago
Hi Sandie,

I got to know about the visit, I had a talk with the ava management there. Apparently the dog hotel does not handle it any more and the govt kennels are quite bad as some people have said on the internet. When was your dog in quarantine? We are planning to take a house near reservoir area, that means I will have to drop my husband every morning. Are there any doggie parks? We are in HK Discovery Bay and he really gets to play with other dogs all the day. So just to make him feel ok after the quarantine. By the way, how did your dog respond to quarantine. It breaks our heart to even see the poor thing in quarantine. Thanks for all the information

sandiexxxx 15 yrs ago
Its tougher on us than the dog, but I do agree its heartbreaking to leave them. Mine was not so bad, she got used to it, and me going every day to see her, also kept the staff on their toes ! I took treats and made sure she was clean, I used a shampoo, that you dont need to use water with, spray bottle type to keep her clean, and brushed her daily. This was at least 5 years ago. its totally ridiculous to have them in quarantine, when coming from HK as they have ''dog passports'' and microchipped. Its another govt money making scheme. doggie parks I cannot say, but you do meet regular dog walkers there,reservoir area, and they get to have a play time. They tend to be the smaller breeds, so they may just be frightened of your's if she is bigger breed.

Good Luck and befriend the staff at Kennels and they will treat her well, always nice to take a box of cookies for them too !

divyaj 15 yrs ago
Oh you bet I will take cookies/mooncakes what ever it takes. I am gonna do everything for the pup. He is six months old and still growing. He is large but not super large. He is really a gentle boy. Thanks for the shampoo idea. I will take some treats for him for sure and visit every day. Do they let you go inside the kennel of the dog? I know you can take them out for walks and grooming. He is on canidae morning and evening time BARF diet and I am going to give him BARF both time now, so that atleast he eats. Is there a way to pay your way through? I sound so desperate but our dog is a rescue puppy and after a long time he has finally connected with us. Thanks for all the pointers. Really helpful. Anything else I need to know please do let me know.

sandiexxxx 15 yrs ago
hi there...

The time mine were there I could go in and bathe them, so fingers crossed that rule has not changed..

Oh, your suggestion on paying your way thru, not a good idea, they are all Government employees and that would be very risky to you. I know how hard it is to gain your dogs trust after all he has been thru, however seeing him everyday, will help maintain the connection. Its so hard, but knowing that your there daily, and giving him lots of attention, will help the time pass for him. Its been said, dogs have no sense of time, so keep thinking that, and focus on the day he is released.

Another point is you may need to give him a light tranquilizer for his plane trip, discuss this with your vet, as being caged for the trip may upset him. The worst part for the journey is actually the conveyor belt ride into the aircraft. I used to put in the crate newspaper, and a used sweater of mine to remind them of me, and a hard toy, which will help take his mind off it all. Also, check if Singapore will accept his current microchip, if the dont, request that if they have to insert another one for Singapore that you will happily pay for him to be tranquilized for the new microchip insertion, as it does hurt them, despite what the dr. tells you.

take care

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad