Potty training

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by GKL888 11 yrs ago
Hi Everybody,

I've have had my miniature poodle for just under two months now, he is nearly 4months old and he is going to have his 3rd vaccination next week.

I live with my girlfriend in a small flat on Kowloon side.

I am looking for some advice really, during the period I have had him I have trained him to sit, stay roll over etc and also potty.

I have his area set up with a bed near his cage/potty area and food area in our living room. When we are in the flat with him he goes to potty in the correct area without any help, and when he goes I still give him a treat and encouragement. He clearly knows where we want him to go potty.

However, when we are at work we leave him in the living area. We close the door of rooms so he only has the living room to roam about during the day. We leave toys and other stimulation around for him.

This is where to problems start, everyday when I get home he has potty everywhere in the room. Somedays he gets some of it right, but the majority he doesn't. I understand it take patience but today he a real mess.

I've tried explaining on other forums but generally people don't understand the space limitation in HK and why I haven't got a garden?

The whole house has tiled floors so I clean up properly when I get back to the flat. For all the time I have had him he has managed to potty everything for the whole day in the correct area - twice.

PLEASE HELP! What am I doing wrong? Why doesn't he potty properly when I'm not there?

Thanks!

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
dogwalk 11 yrs ago
One thing I can see you are doing wrong is you leave the dog alone at home all day long. And poodles they need lots of attention and exercise because they have so much energy. Most people do not have a garden, but if you can take your dog out two to three times a day 30 mins each time that would be ideal. and encourage him to do his business when he is out, because dogs aren't programmed to pee and poo at where they live.

GKL888 11 yrs ago
Ok, once he has finished his vaccinations i will do just that. But that's still 2weeks away, is there anything I can do to stop him doing this until then?

Really appreciate some more advise!!

Thanks!

r+trainer 11 yrs ago
Hi,

Looks like you are giving him too much freedom for too long while you are out. Do you have someone who could come by every few hours? If so, try putting him in his crate (made cosy with with his bed and toys/chewies etc.) and having that person come and let him out and supervise him while he does his toilet and then play with him for a bit before returning him to the crate - most pups will not soil their bed. If you know how long he can go between potty breaks, you can create success and gradually build on this time. I'm not suggesting caging him all day, but a couple of hours at a time is ok if he can hold it that long.

Go to www.dogstardaily.com, there you can download for free 'Before you get your puppy' and 'After you get your puppy' by Ian Dunbar for a more detailed plan and lots of good puppy info.

Also get some enzymic cleaner such as Nature's Miracle, specifically designed for removing the scent of previous 'accidents', from a pet supply shop. Just because you can't smell anything doesn't mean he can't. You can buy a fake grass toilet that may encourage success - he may need more of a contrast in what he feels under his paws when he does his toilet. Also 'Pee Post' which is a pheromone treated post designed for a garden, but could maybe be somehow secured in his place to give him extra encouragement.

Hope that is helpful, good luck

r+trainer 11 yrs ago
Also don't leave food down all day, if he can eat any time, you won't know when he needs to poop. Specific feeding times help to create a routine. Treat dispensing toys are ok to give him entertainment and stimulation when he's alone as he has to work on them to get the treats out, but free food in a bowl all day will contribute to accidents

r+trainer 11 yrs ago
It's also worth considering whether it is related to distress at being left alone. Do your neighbours tell you he's been crying/barking/howling while you are gone? Does he eat in your absence? Any signs of damage around your front door? Does he show signs of getting upset during your pre-departure routine?

These are some of the signs of separation anxiety, which is a serious issue.

You might want to try setting up a video camera to see what he is doing while you are out.

GKL888 11 yrs ago
Hi,

Thanks for the reply, I've have now sectioned off the living room to give him less freedom and he is now doing 90% of his potty in the cage! Thanks for the advise!

I have also filmed him while I've been at work, 5 mins after I leave he stops crying and plays with his toys and sleeps. But I will be able to take him out for walks next week so it should be ok.

But thanks, a couple of weeks ago I was about to give up but it's ok now!

Thanks again!

jolom 9 yrs ago
you have to potty training him and i am sure when he is used to doing it , he will be able to do potty although you are not in from of him . so you can take help from http://15homeremedies.com/1055/start-potty-training-in-3-days/ that i think will be better for you . so if you do so , i think you won't have to suffer from it anymore. thanks

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad