Veterinarian

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by Amparo Kia 15 yrs ago
Can anybody refer me a good vet in Hong Kong island side, thanks or any info.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
thundercatchergo 15 yrs ago
we used Chris and Nicola's in tin hau and dr eric in happy valley but we prefer dr llyyd kenda. just make an appointment to dr kenda. i think the associate is gone.

Amparo Kia 15 yrs ago
Thanks for all the info, really appreciate it.

Amparo Kia 15 yrs ago
Yes, a good vet is really hard to find. I have now settled for NPV - a charitable organization, it was a referral by my colleagues, she has visited the clinic several times and is very satisfy with the doc there. the only thing is it is in Kowloon side, so it is kind of a big hassles for me to bring my doggie there, but if sitiation arises that I will need the service of a vet, I would try this one.

Am feeling the same as you, I am so nervous when I try a new vet...

Amparo Kia 15 yrs ago
wow, dentist is another area that I am fear of, everytime when I walk in a dental clinic, my legs start to shake.

Some expat vets, for some reason, make themselves "high to reach". if you know what I mean. No offense though, it is just my opinion that one never got the chance to actually seeing the famous doctor.. (ha-ha), or least that is my experience. Usually it is the associate who is tending the clinic and it is like buying mark six, have to take chances.

So sorry to hear of you losing your dog, it is so sad and angry to have to lose our love ones this way.... Yeah, I was told by my colleague that NPV is a non-profit organization set up by a group of animal lovers, and they rely on donations to keep the clinic going. so I reckon they should be more caring rather than doing in pure business to make profit.

momi 15 yrs ago
how many of you have been asked by vets to give your dog a dental? i brush my dogs teeth and give her dental treats so her teeth are really okay for her age. makes me wonder if the vets are after $ or ??? my dog licks her bum from time to time (cos of secretion) and one vet suggested a surgery for her. really appalling! so next I may go to SPCA vets. Are they good?

Amparo Kia 15 yrs ago
I've never tried SPCA, but you just have to trial and error to discover a good one, My last vet (he is a young man, a really good one but he has gone back to Australia) said that cleaning the teeth needs to put the dog under anasthesia and so preventive measure is important but he said that unless there is serious problem with the teeth, he doesn't advise to just put the dog sedated just for the sake of cleaning the teeth.

You need to really make the decision yourself, last year when I have my dog vaccinated at one of the clinic in Happy Valley, the Vet told me my dog has some serious problem with his joints (both backlegs) and needs to have surgery, and quote me more than 12,000, after some internet searching and second opinion from the young vet, I decided not to do it, my dog is quite happy and have no problem when he runs and walks, although I did notice that when I am cleaning his backlegs, BB seems not to like it, not sure if this is just my dog did not enjoy the cleaning procedure or is he hurts, but it did cast a question mark on my mind, as for me, I really do not want my dog to go under the knife and suffer pain unless it is a life threatening situation...

BTW, what is your dog, mine is a pug...

momi 15 yrs ago
my dog is a terrier, 6.5 years old.

a dog only lives 13,14 years, I don't want her to go under the knife unnecessarily. he suggested cutting her bum open and removing some glands and then sewing it up! as if it would cause her no pain.

I only trust vets who are not after $.

Lovefordogs 15 yrs ago
i go to western animal clinic on bonham rd in Mid levels for my two, and they are always really good, they even called me when my lil one was ill to see how she was doing. Ask for Shayne.

Amparo Kia 15 yrs ago
Thnaks for all the input, will look at internet one by one...

cat lover 15 yrs ago
I've been taking my dogs to Dr. Hans at Tai Hang Veterinary Clinic for the last 13 years. All I can say is that I will never go elsewhere again.

Davidklein 15 yrs ago
I go to Dr. Paul Essey at Wanchai Animal Clinic and have been for the past 10 years. I take my dogs and cats and 1 chinchilla. He and his team are very professional and caring.

kurukurukeroko 13 yrs ago
I dont recommend Ninelives (cat clinic). My cat did urine test, they said they would call me up about the test result but didnt, hence I called up the clinic a few times, although they already received the result, their excuse was the vet was busy. It passed a week since I called them first time, therefore I finally visited the clinic again to only get the result. It seemed the first time for vet to look the result. She said the medication is not in the clinic at the moment, thus she will call me in a few days when the medication is ready.

My cat had a severe condition before,thus the sooner the better when it comes to infection. I have never been to such an irresponsible clinic in my home country.

HongKongDogRescue 13 yrs ago
There is certainly a big difference between both the care received and the cost at the many vet clinics in HK. After 20+ years doing dog rescue work I have met some shockers and some great vets. You can't judge a clinic, only the individual vet you see, so make sure you ask for a specific person if you find one you like and trust.

Amparo Kia 13 yrs ago
This is so very true, HKDR, finding a good vet in HK is a challenge, I have read somewhere that Acorn in Sai Ying Pun is good, luckily I live in the vicinity, will definitely check it out and have a look at the clinic.

MVA1 13 yrs ago
my dogs are so nervous going to the vet. the last time, I took my dogs for a normal vaccination visit, one of them nearly bit my hand off!!

i have tried out a house call vet, called "vet2pet" and have been very satiesfied with her service. My dog did not even need a muzzle for her vaccination. can really recommend a house call to anyone who has dogs that are very scared seeing a vet.

cityview 11 yrs ago
i dont recommend four paws at caine road. they're slightly sarcastic and curt and was not very helpful nor constructive in their advice given. i thought that was the case for both the doctor and the assistant when they did not really calm the doggie before the injecting into it but then went straight to reprimand for the doggie's reaction. I would definitely be looking to go somewhere with more caring service.

vickielau 8 yrs ago
Why don't you try the house call vet Dr Chiu, he helped my friend's 15 years old Chiwawa to remove a lump as big as half of the first part of a thumb, very closed to his anus by doing surgery at the house ! The surgery was completed in 5 to 8 minutes ! The Chiwawa was well after surgery for another year.

Dr Chiu also helped a cat with very low body temperature after being improperly handled by a clinic to survive for another half year. It's magic !

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad