Terminate - one month notice?

Search  
ORIGINAL POST
Posted by crystal88 15 yrs ago
I will terminate my helper soon, i want her to be able to find another potential employer before going home to Philippines. I understand that i should give her one month notice if this is the case.

My friend told me that it's better to terminate and she leaves the house the following day or right away, as she might do something not good in my household.

For those who had experienced with termination, what did you do? give one month notice or terminate right away? Thanks. This is the first time i'm doing this so don't know the procedure.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Ed 15 yrs ago
You might consider posting an ad for your helper here http://hongkong.asiaxpat.com/helpers/

punter 15 yrs ago
Crystal, it really depends on what you want.

If you want to help your helper, give her a month's notice. That way she can find another employer for a longer time. Even if you let her go immediately by paying her one month salary in lieu of notice, she still can stay in Hong Kong for 2 weeks and during this time she can find another employer.

Susie1 15 yrs ago
I think you must also notify Immigration, the sooner you do it the better for your maid being able to sign up with a new employer. If you email Immigration and tell them the predicament,that youi are leaving Hong Kong, they should advise you what to do. Also make sure she has references, if she is really good you could recommend her to prospective employers, or let an Agency advertise her availbility

We are in the process of employing a maid whose employers left Hong Kong, they didn't advise Imm. Office when they should have done, she has had to live in a boarding house for nearly two weeks already, and will have to until 21st November. She is not allowed to stay with us until papers are processed, nor can she legally earn any money, so despite her last employers giving her a months wage etc and paying a return trip to Philippines at christmas(because this was done before they knew they were leaving Hong Kong), they have left her in a 'mess'

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad