Domestic Helper/Driver

Search  
ORIGINAL POST
Posted by stt 13 yrs ago
We are looking for a domestic helper/driver and my helper has asked us if we would consider hiring her husband who is in the Philippines working as a driver. If we decide to go down that route does anyone have any advice on how easy it would be to get him a Hong Kong Driver's license and how long it would take and what the process is?

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
sisly 13 yrs ago
Based on what I normally heard and saw, If you really want to employ as a driver the husband of your current helper, first you have to invite the guy to visit HK as a tourist, then he can enroll for a driving lesson right away, after he pass all exams and obtain a drivers licence in Hong Kong then thats the time you apply his papers to employ him as a driver. It's means, it will take several months before you have a driver.

stt 13 yrs ago
I don't see how I can apply for a driver's licence for him until after I employ him as he won't have an ID Card if he is here as a tourist?

axptguy38 13 yrs ago
sisly is mistaken. You must have to have a HKID to get a HK license.

The potential driver must be employed first as a DH. Once he has his license, he can apply to be a driver "DH with driving duties". There is an addendum to the DH contract that must be separately approved by immigration.

Getting a license in HK is pretty easy but does take about 3 months. Cost is 5-8k.

Note also that a DH with driving duties may not drive the employer to work.

stt 13 yrs ago
Thx axptguy38 - where does the cost come in? I'm assuming he wouldn't need lessons as he is already a driver in the Phils. Also my helper mentioned I could get a temporary license for him which would enable him to drive straight away and after he passes the tests he could get the permanent one? And if he failed the test they would cancel the temporary license, does anyone know anything on this?

axptguy38 13 yrs ago
Unfortunately a Philippine license cannot be converted to an HK one so he must take the (mandatory) classes and license. Therein the cost.

There is no such thing as a temporary license. However he can drive for a period (3 months I think) on his Philippine license. Then again the DH contract might mandate an HK license. Can't remember.

digitaldiva 10 yrs ago
Hi Stt, wondering what happened with you driver in the end. We are wanting to do the same thing and I'm looking at the temporary license as a short term solution as well. Were you able to apply for it? Thanks

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad