loan shark threat

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by vlr 13 yrs ago
I'm getting calls from a loan shark and my helper is receiving letters that they will come in person. Her contract is up soon, so she's out the door anyway, but what I'd like to know is...

What's the worst I can expect? I've already told her to never open the door if she doesn't know the person (I have two young boys and would be loathe if they witnessed an aggressive man yelling at her in their presence), but I'm at a loss as at what actually can happen.

She owes nearly 40K with the typical story of signing with someone else who took half and then left HK.

To be more specific:

1. If they visit, will they just yell?

2. Is there ever a threat of bodily harm?

3. Does paint get thrown on your door in only a big sum situation?

I've already told them to stop calling here because I have nothing to do with this and have threatened to call the police. I have aggressive voice mails saved just in case.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
axptguy38 13 yrs ago
You did the right thing by telling them to stop calling. If they call again (or come there), ask for the name, phone number and address of the person and, if they have a supervisor, that person's name and phone number. Ask for the amount and any other details you can think of. Take detailed notes. This deters quite a few callers. Then say that next time they call, you will give the information to the police.

Do not let anyone in.

1. Probably yes.

2. I doubt there is a risk of bodily harm.

3. I've never heard of this myself.

vlr 13 yrs ago
Thanks axptguy38.

I've already asked all the questions and have names and contacts. I never pass the phone to my helper when he calls the home phone and always tell him to stop calling and call her directly. The last time he told me to go ahead and call the police, so not sure that it really is a threat. Even when I called the police to ask what my options are, the officer that answered was trying to discourage me from making a report. "You'll have to come to the station for a long time because there are a lot of questions we have to ask you and forms to fill out... just talk to your helper and tell her to pay. Or tell the man to stop calling. Or block his number." As if any of those things will make a difference.

FIFIB 13 yrs ago
I had the same problem before, they were calling my house all the time so I got from pccw Block the Blocker so no calls without display phone number would get through.

Also before block the blocker when they were calling me I told them off and reminded them they never seek my advice when they loaned her the money , so why they are calling me now.

Also told them to go ahead and take her to the police or whathever just don't bother me.

One time a huge guy came to my door, which I don't know why the security guards let him in, anyway I told him to leave since this was my house not my helper's and they could look for her on her rest day.

They finally gave up, never called again and as far as I am concern my helper did not pay them back.

It was $17,000 and also same story she only took 50% of it.

axptguy38 13 yrs ago
As FIFIB says you just have to tough it out. They'll either find your helper outside the house or just get tired of looking for her.

Susie1 13 yrs ago
If the OP has dismissed the helper, then she should get a copy of the dismissal letter from Imm. to show the Loan sharks, then they will not harass her/him.

bbrave 13 yrs ago
Posted by axptguy38 (1 day ago)

As FIFIB says you just have to tough it out. They'll either find your helper outside the house or just get tired of looking for her.

What if the boys are with the helper at the time? Sounds troubling.

axptguy38 13 yrs ago
Fair point bbrave. In that case you should instruct the helper to say that she is working and she will call the police immediately to report them for harassment if they don't leave.

lagrue 13 yrs ago
I would not wait for her to finish her contract, terminate her contract, pay her a month is lieu, and then show the documentation to the loan sharks that she no longer resides here so they should stay away.

She has brought significant stress and trouble to your home, your sanctuary and there is no need to chance it that your boys will be around when these rough guys turn up.

In terms of threatening to call the police on them should they harass her when she is with the children, I'm sure these fellows know better than any of the posters here that the police is not going to do a single thing for verbal harassment. And these fellows could care less that the helper is working, is with her two young charges.

Just remove the helper from your residence ASAP, and hopefully she learns her lesson this time not to take out loans for other people!

vlr 13 yrs ago
I'm frankly not interested in showing loan sharks any more documentation related to me.

axptguy28: My ONLY concern is that my kids will witness the intimidation. I've instructed our helper to never answer the door while I'm not home unless she knows who it is. I've also informed our building security of what's going on and to try to avoid letting this type of guy up to my apartment. Don't think he'll be able to do anything, ultimately.

I'm not going to dismiss her with a month left on her contract. She's made some horrible decisions (this is just one of them), but everyone needs a break. I'm just thankful for the good timing with her contract being up in a month.

Nhoj_71: I'm curious. Why do you say lagrue has no idea? Is it the idea of dismissing a helper over this that you have issue?

lagrue 13 yrs ago
Yes I'm curious about Nhoj_71's post too.

vlr, having been through this with my MIL's helper, I'm just telling you what she (my MIL) did to solve the problem. The guys who came were seriously unpleasant and the police were reluctant and slow, and totally not helpful. There was no bodily harm, just threats, raised voices, swearing behind the door/banging the fire escape door/lift door when she refused to open up. The management were more helpful in getting rid of these blokes, when she told them the management and security were coming up they would leave. Problem died down after the helper had left and she showed them the paperwork, AND her management confirmed with them when asked the helper was no longer in residence there.

Quite frankly I would get the sack if these types came to my work place and disrupted the office there, so when it happens in my home (which is effectively her 'office'), she has to go. Having said that, I think you are a decent person as you are allowing her to work out her contract and stay at your home despite the problem. I just hope you'll be honest when you go to give a reference for her, particularly if young children are involved with the next family.

Susie1 13 yrs ago
I agree with lagrue, don't pass this helper on to any other unwitting family! maybe don't give her a reference at all when she leaves, the OP can do that.

vlr 13 yrs ago
Thanks for sharing your experiences lagrue.

I haven't offered to give her a reference, nor has she asked. Despite her bad judgement (this is only the most recent instance), she is at least realistic.

Tune 13 yrs ago
'the officer that answered was trying to discourage me from making a report'.

I consistently here about this shirking of responsibility by the police. A possible reason for loansharks to be more audacious.

I have always maintained a zero tolerence for this shirking. How? By making the effort and going to the police station to make a report. Given the situation, I suggest you do the same.

Threats, if reported, are treated seriously here.

edshe_23 13 yrs ago
you have to talk to your domestic helper how much money she borrowed and you can contact the bank she borrowed and try to solve the problem the people who come they are just pretending to be tough but on the other side they are just praying that the borrower will pay its actually how you negotiate most of the peolpe i know they just change the house and thats all they cant find her anymore

edshe_23 13 yrs ago
you have to talk to your domestic helper how much money she borrowed and you can contact the bank she borrowed and try to solve the problem the people who come they are just pretending to be tough but on the other side they are just praying that the borrower will pay its actually how you negotiate most of the peolpe i know they just change the house and thats all they cant find her anymore

allesha 11 yrs ago
Does anyone knows how can a helper loan without reference or even phone number?

punter 11 yrs ago
It's called piggybacking. One helper will borrow (with all the needed info and reference), say 30,000HKD, and three helpers will actually share the proceeds of the loan and promise to pay the loan together. Of course all sorts of problems often come out of it (e.g. somebody whose name doesn't appear in the loan document absconding).

Huahin 11 yrs ago
That is why when you hire a helper, make it a rule that your home land line phone number is off limits to anyone even her friends and family in Philippines. loan sharks need the employer's landline as one of requirements for you helper's loan to be approved. Usually when your helper is on day off is when you get this call looking for her and of course you'll say she's on day off because she is there with the loan shark. Loan shark need your helper's passport to borrow money but you can't keep it for any reason, it's illegal! But you can have a double key safety box like in hotels. Both keys are used to open at the same time!

Designmgr 11 yrs ago
Legal...Illegal.....do you honestly think that is the deciding factor in debt collection? Even if you lived in a perfect world....its not generally the person who loaned the money who would collect.

...if and when they get desparate...they will 'subcontract' the collection....then all bets are off....if she owes...they will do what the can to collect as much as they can...

calling the police could be helpful....but again....the 'subcontractors' do this for a living...and they won't come in business suits...

Not trying to scare, just want to tell you that if you think your dealing with an 'on the level' organization....you also have to consider the collectors. If a company is unable to collect on their own...to mitigate loss, they will 'share' the recovery with the unsavory.

Hong Kong companies regularly utilize such services with their suppliers/manufacturers...you just don't hear about it.

Designmgr 11 yrs ago
Huahin,

double key lock box for the helpers passport? Seriously? You don't own them..and what prevents them from taking a day to go to macau or any other possible reason for having ID? They work for your...they aren't your kids and you don't own them....withholding a helpers passport in my opinion is not only childish...its totally unacceptable. If you don't trust them...don't hire them. Don't be so petty just because YOU don't know any better.... (I guess we're not all adults).

oh...and the double key lock concept...that IS NOT LEGAL....because they don't have access without you allowing it....use some common sense (or buy some)....if they don't have access...then your keeping it from them...without your key..they don't get their passport...then simply put it in a box with one key (yours)...its the same petty thing.....

rianty 11 yrs ago
the police officer may discourage you becausr lots of criminals problem they need to solve abd not only those loanshark....i experience that slready i go on report but they say they have nothing to do with it snd just ignore if they call again...

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad