Helper wants to travel

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by hkjazz 12 yrs ago
My helper has just told me that she wants to travel to Korea for a week over the holidays. I thought that she would want to go home to see her family but she wants to go to Korea. I'm not opposed to her having a holiday and am happy for her to go to the Philipines but feel very uneasy about her going to Korea. Especially as she has only been with us for a few months.

At the same time I feel a little strange telling a grown adult where they can and can't go.

Any advice? Should I let her go?

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
punter 12 yrs ago
What's the difference if she goes to Korea or Philippines? I don't see the point :)

hkjazz 12 yrs ago
The difference is I need to write a letter of permission for her to go to Korea so she can get a visa. This then makes me fully responsible for her if anything happens. Bear in mind she's only been with me a few months and there are clearly trust issues involved. Korea isn't cheap if I end up having to shoulder responsibilityy for an accident, illness or other problem.

Not sure if it's worth taking the risk.

punter 12 yrs ago
I personally don't think that writing a reference letter (saying you're the employer) makes you responsible for whatever's going to happen to her while she's there. To me, going to her hometown is the same as going to Korea, Thailand, Singapore or wherever. She's on annual leave, she's responsible for herself.

Besides, your letter may not even guarantee her getting a visa.

lagrue 12 yrs ago
My helper told me that the salary in Korea for helpers is better than even Hong Kong so this may be a reason why she wishes to go....

That aside, I would say that I would have no problems writing a letter in support of a long standing employee that I have a great relationship with. You don't have that strong bond with your helper, hence I don't think you need to put yourself out and write that letter. There may or may not be ramifications but given the relationship is tenuous at best I would not. These types of favours need to be earned. Just tell her you do not feel comfortable writing that letter for her and that may be later when you are a lot more familiar with each other than you might. End of story.

Same with my employees, I have been asked to write reference letters several times (for school enrollment purposes), I base the decision on my relationship with the employee. Manage your helper in the same way.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad