Going rate for helper's CNY laisee bonus.

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by bloomfieldtj 12 yrs ago
Hello. Just wondering what the going rate is for the CNY laisee bonus, for your helper. I was told by one friend that it's usual to give one month's salary but another friend was horrified by this and said it was far too much.

Also, what about Xmas bonus?

This will be our first payment of such bonus, as we've only had our helper for 6 months). Don't want to appear stingy but also don't want to pay way over the odds either, and have that figure expected forevermore!

Any views welcome.

Many thanks.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
axptguy38 12 yrs ago
It varies. Everything from a hundred or two to one month's salary. Depends on what you can afford and what the helper deserves. Also depends on whether you see it as a symbolic gift or a performance bonus. In the latter case you should probably just pay half since she has worked for you for half a year.

One month's salary is only "usual" among expats I think, and not even close to all of us.

For the record we give presents and Christmas and about a month's salary at CNY.

adele78 12 yrs ago
Last year I think we gave our helper $100 and an extra day off. Lai See is meant to be a symbolic gesture to share prosperity, not a bonus. Be careful it isn't seen as a right or obligation as you might find yourself having to pay more and more to keep face.

Plus, we're not chinese and neither is she!

Then again, we also gave her extra time off at Ramadan because she's muslim and a christmas gift because we celebrate christmas so it seems like we tend to celebrate pretty much anything around here!

jgl 12 yrs ago
Agreed- laisee is symbolic gesture, not to be confused with a 13th month bonus which remains part of some HK compensation packages.

Unless it's written into a contract, an entire month of bonus just for doing a job would seem excessive. On the other hand, a performance bonus might make sense.

In my experience on both the giving and receiving end, laisee varies from anything from $10 between very casual acquaintances, to $20-50 for your typical housing doorman, to $100 for employees.

bloomfieldtj 12 yrs ago
Thanks to all for your replies. Having asked around it seems it's a personal thing as to how much one gives for the CNY laise. Our helper has only been with us 6 months and I personally think one month's salary is excessive. However, she has worked with other ex-pats in our complex for many, many years, and I know that she is going to be expecting the month's salary, so am in a bit of a quandry really. I can either give what I think is appropriate and risk offending her, or just give her the month's money, though I am uncomfortable with that amount at this early stage. Difficult one!

punter 12 yrs ago
Half a month bonus for half a year of service?

GemmaW 12 yrs ago
Well, you don't want to give a month's salary and you know that she may expect more than the standard $20/$100... so why not give something inbetween?

I always think that $1000 is a good in-between sum.

Brooklynexpat 12 yrs ago
I have a question. My domestic helper just arrived and started working yesterday, December 19th. She will stay with our dog while we go back home for the Christmas Holiday. I thought about giving her a half month's salary is that fair ?

punter 12 yrs ago
That's very generous.

Brooklynexpat 12 yrs ago
I'm definitely not a cheapskate so I guess I will take your advice Madtown lol.

kittycat2 12 yrs ago
I give $300. I'm not a cheapskate and I can afford to employ a helper, thank you. It is a symbolic gesture for a Chinese festival.

bloomfieldtj 12 yrs ago
Hi, further to my original post and your kind replies, somebody mentioned to me that the CNY laisee bonus is completely different from the End of Year bonus which is, apparently, written into the helper's contract. I thought that they were the same thing.

I contacted the relevant department at the Government offices, but their reply to me was so full of legal terminology I confess I didn't understand it!

I cannot find anything in my helper's contact which says she is entitled to an End of Year bonus, so wondered what your opinions would be.

We actually gave our helper $500 cash for a Christmas present, and was thinking of giving her half a month's salary at CNY, representing the 6 months she will have been with us at that point. I would however welcome any other views on End of Year bonus payments, if anybody knows about it.

Many thanks indeed.

axptguy38 12 yrs ago
As cara says, there is no legal requirement for any bonus at all. Your friend "somebody" is completely misinformed.

If you are very happy with your helper, half a month's salary is fine for CNY.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad