The puzzling choice of two helpers....

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by Debdoo 12 yrs ago
I will start by saying I am pregnant and therefore this whole process is a bit confusing for my brain right now. Please help me to sort this out.

Our current helper is leaving us in May to work in Canada. I have found 2 possibilities to replace her.

Along with expecting a new baby, we also have 2 other children, one with a disability. We are considering two Helpers who come recommended from friends:

Helper 1:

I have interviewed and like a helper who will finish her current HK contract in January. Question: Can we do all her paper work before she goes, avoiding the agency fee's etc, even though she won't be starting her actual employment with us until May? I am worried that because she will be at home waiting for 3 - 4 months we will not be able to do this and then we will have to go through an agency.

Helper 2:

I have interviewed on skype only. But she has nursing and midwifery experience. She is already in Phil after breaking her contract when her mother died suddenly. Do we have to go through agency if we've found her ourselves???

I cannot choose between these women as they both have excellent qualities and recommendations. So I'm trying to figure out which will be easier to get here.

Thanks in advance.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
axptguy38 12 yrs ago
First of all, you should perhaps wait with interviewing until around March. Plenty of candidates out there. That is unless you find a helper now whose contract is ending in, say, April.

Helper #1 you can do it avoiding the agency fee.

Helper#2 you need to get through an agency due to the broken contract. The nursing/midwifery experience is a plus but on the other hand it's not a necessity for the job.

Between these two, hire the one you feel most comfortable with. "Chemistry" with you and attitude towards the work are way more important the formal qualifications.

Debdoo 12 yrs ago
Thanks axptguy. Woke up this morning and found out that Helper #1 is no longer an option...so that makes that abit easier. Will push ahead with helper #2.

axptguy38 12 yrs ago
Good luck to you!

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad