Direct Hire vs Agency

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by Glasgow 12 yrs ago
We're came back to HK last year & are finally planning to rehire a DH who worked for us 6 years ago. She went home to the Philippines for personal reasons (which we knew about).

Should we process the papers ourselves or get an agency involved? (Last time we hired her here.)

Is there much difference in costs amongst agencies?

How long will the process take? Ideally we'd like to get her over wihthin 8-9 weeks.

Tks

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Glasgow 12 yrs ago
Did some checking today. What you said seems to be spot on. Because she wasn't a finished contract, the direct hire route is no longer open.

There seems to be a new thing too. The going price (amongst a few agencies only mind you) is $3.8-3.9k. But there seems to be a new levy too imposed by the PH govt of HK$1,200 for life assurance. The PH govt doesn't want to pay the cost should something tragic happen. That seems a cheap policy but I guess that it's only to cover transportation rather than provide financial assistance to the surviving family.

Glasgow 12 yrs ago
Tks Cara.

Beki 12 yrs ago
Dear Glasgow and Cara,

I need your advice on this special situation: We've met a lovely helper whose previous employer (first one in HK) is moving out of Hong Kong and have therewith released her by end of this month. So next week she has to leave for the Philippines. I told her today we'll hire her, and to get the contract and papers we need for processing the visa. She told us we will need an Agency because she has only been 1 year and 1 month with them, and can't go on without it as she didn't end the full 2 years.

Could you recommend an Agency for the paperwork which does not take a fortune from her but has contact to the Philippines? On Saturday we will sign the contract, it's the only day my hubby is around before the next trip. So do you say I should wait with signing and go the whole way by Agency, or sign and then give the rest to an Agency? HK Government is no help, tried to reach them several times, but Hotline is only recommending the Internetsite.

I'm totally helpless with where to start and what to do first, like: doing the medical checkup AFTER signing, or even before that?

I know it's time critical, but we wouldn't want a helper we haven't seen in personel, and she is the one we decided to have.

So I really appreciate your help as fast as possible!!Thank you so much!

punter 12 yrs ago
If what the helper has said is true; that her current employer is moving out of HK, then she doesn't have to leave HK before starting with a new employer.

The helper might also know a good agency for processing the papers, answer your questions, give suggestions, etc. as they're quite experienced in doing this stuff. This might be the wise thing to do, find a good agency (maybe a recommendation from your friends?), and ask them how to do things step by step.

yufie 12 yrs ago
u can sign contrac witg her use agency.and the agency will be help u and she is wait visa approx can be stay in macau or back piliphina

Glasgow 12 yrs ago
We're using Emry's on 3/F Worldwide House in Central. They advertised a fixed fee on their window. My colleague, who is a native HKer, also used them which is reassuring. On the way out of the building I noticed another agency that was HK$600 or so cheaper. They were either on the same floor or one level down. Since its just form filling and especially since your helper is here already, I'd be inclined to save HK$600.

Both my colleague & I were hiring out of the Philippines so the costs were a bit higher (medicals etc). So that cost differential may be in relation to the more expensive hires than what you need. As always worth shopping around.

Also apparently if you personally rock up at the Immigration Dept in Wanchai theres a good chance of fast-tracking the application. Ask the agent you choose. Good luck.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad