Question about helper

Search  
ORIGINAL POST
Posted by nyonta 10 yrs ago
This is not the actual case yet, but I would like to know what is legal/illegal in these cases.

- Helper got pregnant but we are relocating to another country when helper is still pregnant.

How can we terminate the contract?

- If we notified helper about our relocation to other country with letter and pregnancy was confirmed after that, we still can terminate as we notified the helper, is it correct?

I booked the ticket for my helper to go back to PHL for vacation in APR but after that our company is relocating us to another country. I am not sure if we should notify her to avoid any incidence although our relocation shall be July.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
alaiala 10 yrs ago
You have no intention of relocating to another country and bringing your helper, whom you have lawfully employed, with you, is that correct? Would you still choose to not relocate with her if she were not pregnant, or is it only due to her being pregnant at this moment?

In any event, you absolutely must tell her that you are being relocated. It is disgusting that you are even considering not doing so.

nyonta 10 yrs ago
Thanks alaiala.

So should we notify helper even though our relocation is still three months away? I though we need only one month notice.

In that case, if we notified helper about termination due to the relocation and helper got pregnant only after that, we are not liable to keep her until the end of maternity leave, right?

alaiala 10 yrs ago
Yes, you should still be courteous and notify your helper immediately, as this relocation affects *her*, too. Perhaps she can be lucky enough to find a kind family in that time.

For specific legal issues, I echo cara in suggesting that you contact the Labour Dept.

margaretdoyle 10 yrs ago
letter of good release as the rreason in ur be relocated or its ,”for good” so that she can still find job in hk after she gave birth,,,its little help for her

nyonta 10 yrs ago
Thanks everyone for the advise.

maxis 10 yrs ago
Is the helper even pregnant? Hard to tell from the scenario.

Seems a little paranoid to not tell the helper you are leaving HK on the off chance she subsequently got pregnant. Give her some time to find another employer.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad