Medical insurance for helper

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by squeaktoo 10 yrs ago
I'm in the process of trying to hire a full time helper from a friend who is leaving. We're not going through an agent. I haven't looked into detailed policies (nor employment contract) yet, but have a question about insurance an a particular scenario.

I assume like most basic medical policies, it will not cover pregnancy. What if my helper gets pregnant? Will I be required to pay for her care, or is it the norm to terminate the contract and send her back?

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
ku shan 10 yrs ago
legally you don't have to care about her if she gets pregnant .you can send her back or you can still keep her . it depends on you .

hkwatcher 10 yrs ago
Q6.3

Can an employer dismiss a pregnant helper?

A

 No. Except in cases of summary dismissal due to the helper’s serious misconduct, an employer is prohibited from dismissing a pregnant helper from the date on which she is confirmed pregnant by a medical certificate to the date on which she is due to return to work on the expiry of her maternity leave.

 An employer who contravenes the provision is liable to prosecution and, on conviction, a fine of HK$100,000. He/She is also required to pay the helper:

 wages in lieu of notice;

 a further sum equivalent to one month’s wages as compensation*; and

 10 weeks’ maternity leave pay if, but for the dismissal, she would have been entitled to such payment.

 The helper may also claim remedies for unreasonable and unlawful dismissal under the part of Employment Protection of the Employment Ordinance (see Chapter 9).

http://www.gov.hk/en/residents/employment/recruitment/foreigndomestichelper.htm

http://www.labour.gov.hk/eng/public/wcp/FDHguide.pdf

dizzyhytes 10 yrs ago
Thanks for all the information. Now I am really worried, especially if I am financially liable. How can the employer be expected to pay for all the expenses relating to pregnancy? I worked a several global firms and even they seldom covered maternity.

evildeeds 10 yrs ago
Proof that working for several global firms does not require a dose of common sense.

There is a public health system here. It covers maternity for all residents incuding FDH. No more than a few hundred dollars. So not that expensive. You'd spend more on a meal quite easily.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad