Helper looking for extra money

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by vivhunter 10 yrs ago
We just hired an helper couple of months back, the hire was through a referal and she is first timer in HK. My helper has few friends who also are in TC area who work as partime making more money and now I see that my helper inclining towards same path.

She recently showed interest to work for couple of hrs outside to which we declinded as its against law. But I am little worried that she might try to find someone who can just sponsor her visa so she can stay outside with her friends and make more money.

Not sure why govt does not take action against part timers is there a way this can be reported ?? Any expert suggestions on how I can retain my helper.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
punter 10 yrs ago
I agree with Cara. Tell her it's illegal, and if you found out she's doing it you will tell immigration yourself because you don't want to be fined and jailed yourself. If she still doesn't get it, it's time for her to get released as she's not going to be a good helper for you.

vivhunter 10 yrs ago
Thank you for your suggestion, I suspect her to be working part time during her off day but I cannot be sure 100% and there is no way to find that out.

NuinHK 10 yrs ago
My experience with FDHs has convinced me that they're in general more sophisticated and better informed than we give them credit for. They have their own support networks and circles of friends who prime newcomers on dos and don'ts, and "clever" ways to skirt the law and/or how to shirk on the job. Sometimes "don't ask, don't tell" may be the best policy. Of course it never hurts to sit the DH down every once in a while and go over the rules of the house as well as of HK immigration/labor.

asiaXdreamy 10 yrs ago
Try her..

Don't try to break the laws as it will never be caught.

If caught, visa cancelled, jail, fine, blacklisted, other related countries may ask for reference/background check on this FDH and would result in negative finding that means even working abroad will be affected.

The cost is too much. When entering here on strength of working visa, the applicant should know what to do and what not to do.

Same to us as the expat, we follow the local laws for employment. Every foreigner do the same and there is no exemption for which ethnic / which kind of job.

Respect the laws and her good self.

Simplereading 10 yrs ago
Imagine you have a job and you think it does not pay as much as you would like it too. Would you think that looking for another job and someone else to sponsor your visa is a bad thing to do?

If you want to retain her, why don't you pay her simply more money like any other decent employer would, instead of trying to find ways (or even ask the government) to stop her from finding a better job?

asiaXdreamy 10 yrs ago
Back to square one. Why come? Before coming, there are laid down laws and procedures to follow. Every comer have the right to come or choose.

If you choose to come, try to play the game according to the rules rather than finding excuse for the morally wrong deeds.

...someone else to sponsor your visa ... what is the point? Is it worth spending the infancy or elderly (who is in need, that's why they need helpers) time and money to support your job hunting and cheating?

Would like to find a decent job... the first thing to do is to act decently and all things under the sun.

Sorry. Just too annoying when hearing excuses. Finding a better job is everyone's own way to strike for betterment / survival. It's a good motivation.

Stepping the others with such purpose is another issue.

I believe as long as one do righteous with heart, the one will be paid decently.

BTW, my FDH receive more than you can imagine for she is decent, diligent and honest.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad