Helper with Cancer

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by jacquiyuen 10 yrs ago
My helper of 5 years recently went back to Philippines for a check up after discovering a lump on her breast, as she was not comfortable with having it check out in HK. It turned out she had a tumor and ended up having a mastectomy surgery in Philippines. She now needs to have chemotherapy but it is extremely expensive in Philippines. As she is still under contract we are thinking of having her return to HK and seek chemo in HK public hospitals, which hopefully our insurance for her should be able to cover. Does anyone know how much chemo cost in the HK public hospitals and which hospital would be the best. Would there be a long waiting list for chemo in HK? We feel its important to help her as we would not want her to stay in Philippines hopeless, not being able to financially support herself through chemo.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
annamcl 10 yrs ago
Hello my name is Anna, I have just read your post. I think a very good start would be to call The B.C. Foundation they are amazing and so kind and sympathetic. You could try calling Nurse Doris 25413118. or 31437333. if you google them you will get more of an understanding about the organisation. I do hope this helps- good luck to you and your helper.

jacquiyuen 10 yrs ago
Thanks Anna for the advise, much appreciated. I will definitely call BC Foundation.

annamcl 10 yrs ago
I really hope you get the help you need. I feel confident you will. I may have the numbers wrong, sorry if I have - but the website will tell you. If you like you can email me on

lagrue 10 yrs ago
what a lovely thing to do!

What I think would be the best way forward. Make an appointment with youf family doctor and bring all the letter, scans ect ect from Phillipines. Ask him/her to write a letter into the major hospital in your area with a priority in capital for chemotherapy. The office will fax letter in for your helper. It may help if you go with her as some locals (but not all) will give her the brush off as she is a DH, and it would help if you championed her cause. Once she receives an appointment from the hospital at the appointment the doctors will make a decision re: chemotherapy or not. If they decide chemotherapy then the cost will be like 60 or 100HKD each visit for the injection for a total of x number of weeks. It should be very affordable if it is the public hopsital supplied chemotherapy. The newer therapies are much more expensive as mostly self pay but I guess we are not talking about that.

Hope this helps.

jacquiyuen 10 yrs ago
Thank you for everyones kind response and support. I've just been told by our insurance that they would be able to cover a certain value of our helper surgery done in the Phillipine but for the chemo at public hospital it will not be covered unless it's inpatient, I guess if it's relatively cheap at public hospital then we should be able to cover it. However, my concern is the uncertainty of how ill our helper could be from the Chemo as I hear from most people that the patient could be quite sick, and would not have anyone that can care for her as I'm a working mum. My inlaw will be coming to hk to help with taking care of our son but it would be unfair ask her to overlook on the helper. We really want to help, just trying to figure this out so that it doesn't put too much strain on the family.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad