french minimum salary

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by quiche.quiche 10 yrs ago
I'm taking my helper with us in France for 2 months. Should I pay her the french minimum salary of 1,200 Euro as stated on one od the documents that we both signed before applying her visa?

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
pkw888 10 yrs ago
I think you have already answered your own question in the first place ... as did Malka!

The better question is why would you need to tether your HK maid around in France for two whole months? Is she super talented or something? Aren't there zillions of local French maids (either nannys or au pairs) whom you can hire whenever & whenever you are traveling in France (or the entire EU for that matter)? Besides that nice change of sums you mentioned, plus a similar amount for r/t airfares, one would assume you could do better with less hassle locally.

quiche.quiche 10 yrs ago
my friends don't pay their helpers the minimum salary. But feel guilty if i do the same. My helper will do baby sitting, a bit cooking,laundy. She is not that super talented but my kids used to her and it would be easy for us to leave the kids with her..

pkw888 10 yrs ago
Did your friends also signed a similar contract with their respective helpers (like you did)? While I don't wish to be judgmental about your friends ... well don't be like them ... just not cool for all the obvious reasons!

If you should finally decide to bring your HK helper with you to work in France, then you would be obligated to pay her the French minimum wages as signed between both parties, for at least TWO reasons: (1) you initiated & signed a contract with your helper; and (2) you probably should not try to violate any French employment laws (even if you think you can "get away" with it despite your signed contract)!

Finally, you ought to think carefully about how your helper will feel if you now dishonor your own signed contract ... why would she ever trust you again or treat your family with any respect ... so is that of no consequence to you or your kids???

quiche.quiche 10 yrs ago
yes it's one of the requirements (the signed paper) of french consulate on isuing visa.They did sign it and their helpers. And there was no complain from their helpers about the salary. But some of them give their helper bonus after the holiday.

pkw888 10 yrs ago
I doubt anyone in this forum would ever advise you to violate any employment contracts or laws (French, HK or otherwise) and you now have heard all the important reasons not to do so. The temptation to follow your friends reckless desison to "getting away with it" should remain just that ... a temptation and nothing more! It's now up to your moral compass as well as your own family & religious values to help guide you down the the right path ... Good Luck to you, your spouse, your kids and your helper!

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad