Closed Circuit Television

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by BigGoose 17 yrs ago
Has anyone installed a closed circuit television or hidden camera to surveil their DH? Any advice?

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Thames 17 yrs ago
Is the OP desperate to find a way of catching out the helper red-handed? If so, and you are sure of yuor facts, are there no other options you could try first? Cameras, on show or otherwise, could be quite an expensive way to prove a point.

The police advised my next door neighbours to have CCTV installed and linked to their alarm system because they have experienced several attempted and actual break-ins, usually by IIs, though the police and they believe the last theft was carried out by a contractor they had hired recently. There are notices posted to say cameras operate and hopefully all this will prevent further home invasions.

However, their helpers are upset as they think this new security measure was installed to ensure they’re working non-stop and not sitting on the pristine leather suite, or stealing or using mobiles (BTW, they agreed in their contracts not to make personal calls during working hours). However, the ability to check up on their helpers (if the employers actually do) is an added bonus and not the primary reason for the cameras. Whatever, I’m certainly noticing the effect it has had on the helpers: they now camp out (well out of the lens’ range) in my washing area every day to make their loud and lengthy calls to family and friends!

Personally, I do not object to cameras in my workplace, provided they are up-front and obviously not in private areas. If I were a helper it would not bother me, provided that it was explained to me during my initial interview and certainly before I signed a contract that I - and, for that matter, any other person, e.g. contractors, delivery men etc., who might be present in the house while the employer was out - would be under surveillance. I could then make the decision on whether or not I wished to work in that environment. However, unless they were circumstances like my neighbour’s, as an honest person I would be affronted to be told that CCTV was being installed AFTER I had been hired as this could imply that something about me lead the employer to think I was untrustworthy. And of course I’d be livid, not to mention deeply hurt, if I were to discover hidden cameras as I went about my work. That really would confirm it was time to go.

mborderform 17 yrs ago
I seem to recall that residential premises are exempt from the legislation dealing with surveillance recording (Privacy Ordinance?) so a person would not contravene the law by installing such a device in their home.

While I have not used them, a friend of mine did instal a video recorder in order to observe her helper's interaction with her child who was then aged two.

At the time, my friend was new to HK adn the helper had been employed for about a month. My friend had noticed behavioural changes in her daughter (who had started smashing her doll into the floor, saying "bad, bad bad!") since the helper started.

The film footage did not reveal anything untoward and reassured my friend who dismantled it after about two weeks. As far as I know, the helper never knew she was under surveillance.

My friend said that it was very simple to arrange (a phone call) and inexpensive.

As to the morality of it all, I think it depends on the circumstances. In my friend's case, that particular helper disappeared about 6 months later owing my friend about $10K in loans and taking various items including a leather jacket and designer sunglasses with her. So, although my friend knew she was a thief she didn't think that the helper had also neglected or abused her daughter and that feeling was comforting for her. If she hadn't got the surveillance she might always have wondered whether she had put her daughter into a dangerous situation with the helper and not done anything about it.

It can work to the helper's advantage in that worry or doubt is removed (or confirmed) - termination of the helper in such a situation seems to me to be a much harsher and damaging course of action than surveillance.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad