Hiring a maid to work in the UK

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by scytran 16 yrs ago
Hope someone can answer this query. My sister-in-law lives in London and has a 2 month old baby girl. She is asking if it is possible to hire a Philippino maid in HK but to work in London. I have a feeling it will be tough but am not too sure about it. She will of course pay for the travel and will provide accommodation.

Many thanks

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
evildeeds 16 yrs ago
She wont just be able to hire a Filipino maid in HK and take her to London. She will need to go through the correct process back in the UK in regard to hiring a foreign maid. Remember the rules are completely different, the maids there are subject to the minimum wage regulations as well as working hour regulations. So in answer to your question, no.

scytran 16 yrs ago
Thanks for the info evildeeds. I had a feeling she can't do it here as well.

JJChan 16 yrs ago
Unfortunately, it would not be possible for your sister in law to hire direct from either HK or Philliphines. In order to someone who lives in HK and is relocating to the UK, to take their maid, the maid must have been working for them for two years in HK.

scytran 16 yrs ago
Thanks JJChan. She's gonna check from her side on how to do it.

purefit 16 yrs ago
So if I have a maid not working for me for 2 years I can't take her to UK with me? Even though I have lived in HK for more than 2 years?

Moppet 16 yrs ago
That's right purefit, how long you've lived in HK is nothing to do with regulations in UK it is about the Helper and how long she's worked for you among other things.

tigger 16 yrs ago
Guidance - Overseas Domestic Worker (UK)

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pagename=OpenMarket/Xcelerate/ShowPage&c=Page&cid=1018721068341#Q1

souffleQueen 16 yrs ago
I was informed that UK not allows Filipina to work as full time, live-in care-givers. She could go in there as one though one of the requirements is a crae-giving course certificate.

Or you could hire her to work for you in Hong Kong and take her with you to UK after a year ( yes, one has to be under your employment for a year, not two ) and your sister could hire her as change of employment is allowed as long as it is still domestic help job.

purefit 16 yrs ago
I have a full-time maid but she has been under my friend's name, as the maid was under contract for the friend and legal she started working for me when my friend left, but I have nothing on paper to prove that she has been working for me for last one year. How do I go about now that I am moving to UK and want to take her. Is there anyway that the UK embassy would be willing to let me take the maid with me even though she has not been under my contract but has worked for me for the last one yr?

I am desperate to take a maid with me as I am in a bed-rest condition but don't know what to do? Please help anyone.

Thanks

Thames 16 yrs ago
IF I'm reading the above correctly, it would appear that for the past year you have been illegally employing the helper here and could be subjected to close official scrutiny if you try to make arrangements for her to join you in the UK. There are plenty of qualified care workers in the UK - can you not hire one there? Private agencies and Social Services will be able to help. I know you will have built up a relationship with 'your' helper and won't relish the thought of having to start all over again with a stranger, but it looks like it might be the only option for you.

purefit 16 yrs ago
I would like to take a maid with me to Uk but don't have anyone that meets the requirement of that that she has worked for me for full-time for one yr, is there nothing around this law? I would really like to take a helper with me to uk and don't want to hire from there as it will be very expensive. Are there any agencies that will help to hire from here if I have not had a maid full-time for the last yr here? Is there no other way/flexibility about the law?

Keena 12 yrs ago
If I am not wrong, i understand from your previous messages that If my brother takes his domestic helper from Hong Kong to UK then I can arrange a change of employment from my brother to under my name in UK. Pls correct me if I am wrong as I am desperately looking for a domestic helper in UK as my previous one is not staying with us anymore....please help..

Susie1 12 yrs ago
I think you may find the employment of a foreign domestic helper very difficult in UK, as it is not on the list of qualified person jobs the country needs.

With the high unemployment Uk has got, and recent change in UKBA rules, they are making guide lines very clear that foreigners, non UK or EU Nationals have to have a certain income to be able to settle in the UK, so as not to pose a threat on public funds, they must be self sufficient and prove it.

Foreign domestic helpers are more likely to 'disappear' once they have got to the Uk, and become illegal immigrants, many have done that already.

chrisabel 10 yrs ago
Hi please help i dont know if this is scam or not i want some advice who also experience in my situation. I got a job offer in london which i found in online job order and my expected employer communicate me in yahoo messenger he said that he help me and all the papers will be processes through the travel agent the name is moon travel and also he said that he will pay 70% of my plain ticket will be paid and 30% is mine. And i will send the money through the travel agency to process everything. I hope can help me. It is my pleasure and work in london but i want to make sure if this is real. I think someone also happen this situation. I am really appreciated to answer my question what should i do. Thanks

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad