Helper fraud

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by hkmama111 10 yrs ago
A new helper started with us, worked three days. Took off from Sat night at 10 pm and sent a message on Sunday eve, saying she had fever and could not return. Returned finally on Monday at 11 am, no fever and handed in termination, gave 30 day notice and returned wages for the month minus days worked. I believe she entered contract as a stop gap arrangement until her paperwork for Canada came through. I released her. She messages three days later for her return ticket. I believe she entered the contract under false terms and tried to defraud me, not once but twice. Am I still liable for her return ticket? I am in talks with the Labour Dept but does anyone have any insight on such a case?

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
cookie09 10 yrs ago
you won't be able to prove her fraud so you must pay the return ticket

asiaXdreamy 10 yrs ago
Can consult Immigration and Labour Department for she just worked 3 days, plus she left suddenly ( absence from duty) then submit her initiated termination?

Immigration is strengthening the control against helpers abusing the system.

Although at last you may still have to pay (or not in some circumstances, not discussed here as the officers would elaborate more rather than open a forum for the others to follow), the case would be recorded and even probably affect cross reference record to other countries of such doers.

Every place is tightening the control now. Be righteous to do what should do and what should not.

Treat people like people.

jennyt 10 yrs ago
Given the date of your initial message, you must have done something already. Just for future reference, what I had done before in similar situation is to tell the helper to issue the return ticket (non-refundable, fixed date) from the travel agent you know well within her visa date. Your obligation is to give her a return ticket, you DON'T have to pay her cash. If the helper is only wanting a stop-gap employer, they wouldn't want to go back home and would just give up.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad