Mother / daughter helper team - any thoughts?

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by Chris9454 9 yrs ago
We are looking to hire a second helper - we have new twin girls!. Our current helper, who is wonderful, has a daughter in PH looking to come to HK. Any thoughts on pros and cons of having a mother daughter helper team?

Thanks for your thoughts / advises in advances.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
lagrue 9 yrs ago
Honestly, I would not. After having been through the painful process with my best friend, I would never, ever hire a relative again. She is a mum of three and has a mother/daughter team working for her. The problem is if it all works then great but if it does not, then you are likely to lose 2 helpers at the same time. The daughter was young and spirited (nothing wrong with that!) but liked to chat on the phone the whole time/surf her phone. Her mom could not control her daughter (after she had not brought her up, she'd been busy working in HK!) When my friend told the daughter after many warnings that she was terminated, the mother turned on her and said she would quit too, and that she could take care of her three children by herself.......

They all calmed down, the mother told my friend that she will ONLY stay if her daughter is kept on. Perhaps the mom knows her daughter will be fired if she works elsewhere without mom's protection. So my friend is now biding her time and hiring a new helper through her mom, and will terminate one/both as soon as she is able.

This is miles from where she started off and that was with an excellent relationship with the older helper (the mom) who has been with her over 4 years. She ruined a perfectly good helper-employee relationship by employing the daughter.

Furthermore, if they ask you for more money, you can't really say no now can you?

Please support our advertisers:

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad