How can you make sure part time helper is a HK permanent resident?

Search  
ORIGINAL POST
Posted by Zarname 9 yrs ago
We are in the process of looking for a part time helper, but want to make sure she has a permanent residency status, in case we need to prove it. How can we make sure that she has a permanent residency status (what to ask for, what type of documents, HKID codes, etc)?

Many thanks

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Ed 9 yrs ago
You can check their ID card --- there is a designation on the letter in front of the number that will allow you to determine if they are a permanent resident or not...

I think there will be P in front of the number if they are permanent.

I suggest you contact the immigration department to confirm this http://www.immd.gov.hk/eng/services/visas/foreign_domestic_helpers.html

Another option is to hire from Merry Maids http://www.merrymaids.com.hk/?utm_source=hongkong.asiaxpat.com

asiaXdreamy 9 yrs ago
...P does not stand for permanent...

working eligibility should be determined by the visa label sticker on passport.

Prefix WX = FDH or imported worker, so that would be illegal for part-time

To legally work in Hong Kong, one must be a Permanent Resident, or hold an employment visa or a dependent visa.

Zarname 9 yrs ago
Thank you both for your messages. We definitely considered merrymaids, However our location causes a lot of extra charge, so we want that as a last resort.

Just another question Asiaxdreamy: What does the passport of a permanent resident look like? I mean do they have a HK passport or any other type of visa affixed to their Philippines passport, for example? Sorry if the questions seem silly. We are very new here.

Thanks again

Greene King 9 yrs ago
Zarname,

They may not have a passport however a PR will have an ID card that says on the back 'The holder of this card has the right of abode in Hong Kong'

Zarname 9 yrs ago
Thank you so much. This has very helpful

negra1968 9 yrs ago
Dear Zarname,

I do not want to hijack your forum query but I am a dependent visa holder and I work as a Cleaner. I arrived here on January 1st from the UK where I have 9 years experience as a Cleaner/Housekeeper. I have some clients here in HK at the moment but have time to take on more, depending I guess on whereabouts you live in HK. I am legally entitled to work part time. If you are interested in the slightest please don't hesitate to get in touch.

Thanks and good luck.

Kate.

Zarname 9 yrs ago
Thank you Kate,
We will consider and may contact you after next week.

lacmacajc 9 yrs ago
You can ask the passport and hongkong Id. In the passport of domestic helper they have visa its written in the visa work as a DH employer name and when the visa expire. Also for domestic helper hongkong ID they use letter W.....for dependant visa they Use letter R. Dependant visa holder are entitled to do part time job. domestic helper NO it's illegal.

asiaXdreamy 9 yrs ago
ZARNAME,

Depends on the nationality of passport holder. Not necessarily holding the HKSAR issued passport.

The visa would have serial number that can be verified by Immigration on the condition of stay, types (travel/study/work other than FDH regime under specific contract / FDH / etc....) . the easy way for new comer to know is to quote that number and ask Immigration if there is no explicit condition printed on the passport.

Zarname 9 yrs ago
Thank you all for your replies. They have been very helpful
Cheers

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad