Mold on walls

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by naif02138 16 yrs ago
Has anyone ever dealt with mold growing on their apt walls? A bedroom wall of a potential rental I'm interested in has some black spots around the window area -- even if the landlord gets rid of them, does anyone now how persistent the problem may be?

The apt has been vacant a while, and it's a low-rise. Not sure if these are factors in the mold, as otherwise the apt does not feel damp or musty.

Thanks.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Ed 16 yrs ago
You might want to try a dehumidifier - check our classifieds - there are often units for sale there

naif02138 16 yrs ago
Yes Ed and mav lui, I will definitely be using a dehumidifier (and a/c) if I were to move in.

My question is whether it's advisable to enter into a lease knowing that there is a history of mold in one of the bedrooms. Is this an apt that should be avoided, even if the landlord cleans up the mold prior to my move-in date?

In the US, everyone is terrified of mold, but people in HK seem to have a less extreme fear. Seeking some advice. Thanks.

Goo 16 yrs ago
I have to disagree. If I leave my flat vacant for a week and no one empties my dehumidifier, I'll have black spots on walls and furniture when I return. I know in other countries it's a bigger issue but here mold is pretty par for the course. Just rub it off with bleach.

sarahjames 16 yrs ago
Have to disagree with F355 too. If one leaves their apartments vacant for even a short while over the humid summer months with out the dehumidifier or air con being on mould will appear.

Naif if the apartment has been vacant for a while ask the landlord to remove the mould it comes off very easily with hot soapy water and if its bad ask for the walls to be repainted. Once you move in and have the air con and dehumidifier on the problem will be gone.

If the window is leaking ask the landlord to place sealant around it this will solve the mould problem.

When I viewed my apartment it had only been unoccupied for a couple of weeks and the walls were covered in the stuff.The mould was removed, walls painted and I have not had a problem with it since and that was six years ago. As Goo says it is pretty par for the course here so don't let it put you off the flat, if you like the flat go for it.

sarahjames 16 yrs ago
Not misleading at all F355 and by the way it is advice not advises.

Leaking windows can indeed be fixed. Any local handyman can do the job and in most cases sealant will indeed solve the leak and thus the mould as in the case of my house. In most cases the landlord will fix the problem.

No big deal F355!

gwern 16 yrs ago
If you have mould due to damp coming in the sealant a handyman would use is basically a pva glue. It may be dilluted but if it is painted on a cleaned wall it should work.

gwern 16 yrs ago
.....actually I shouldn't have said sealant as I percieved this damp coming through a wall rather than a gap around a window which would need a caulk filler.

reboot_again 9 yrs ago
Does the landlord need to bear the cost if we have to ask professionals to clean? Or is it tenant responsibility?

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad