break lease property rental

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by Ailsa 16 yrs ago
I have to make a quick decision whether to rent a break lease apartment. Can anyone explain the implications? Any advantages/disadvantages?

Thankyou

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
sherryberry 16 yrs ago
1 - find out if the owner is aware of the break - do they want to continue the current contract until the end? or do they want to start anew?

2 - need to make sure all bills are cleared and there is no damage that you will be liable for. i would suggest you have an inspection WITH the landlord assess any damages to the premises and identify what needs to be done in the handover (who knows if the current tenant installed something without consent from landlord then dings you for it)

3 - get the landlord details and contact

Ailsa 16 yrs ago
Thank you very much for your reply sherryberry.

espeve 10 yrs ago
Hi,

I am trying to rent a break lease apartment, but Somehow I feel I should do some background check on the landlord and the current tenant.

The scenario is the tenant says he is taken a 2 year contract and is breaking it in the second year. Basically I would need to go through the agreement to understand the break lease clause. But before he shares any thing how can I verify how genuine the tenant and his so called owner is?

He has shown me the place and it suits me too.

OffThePeak 10 yrs ago
??

Often the second year is on a month-to-month basis anyway.

Check the lease

traineeinvestor 10 yrs ago
Most leases contain a prohibition against sub-leasing meaning that if the landlord finds out that you have taken over from the tenant named in the lease, s/he can kick you out any time (possibly losing that right if s/he knowingly accepts the rental payment from you for a period of time) and your rights to reclaim your deposit would be against the former tenant (not the landlord).

Short version: take a new lease directly from the landlord OR get the landlord to agree in writing for you to replace the existing tenant on the existing lease.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad