Renting- not what it seems

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by DNYC 10 yrs ago
Hello,

I relocated to Hong Kong a few weeks ago.

I just signed on an apartment and am in the 7 days before rent start period.

During the last few days of which I started loving my stuff into the apartment; I realized many things are off in the apartment.

To start with the apartment was filthy; although the land lord was suppose to clean it. When moving around the furniture I discovered piles of dirt.

The bed which was included broke.

The fridge all of a sudden started making noise.

And the list goes on and on.

The worst part is that there is contraction next door which I was unaware of. When searching for the place my broker said this apartment would be quiet because it is on a high floor, and did not mention the building (which is on a blind spot from the window) that starts drilling at 7-8 AM each morning.

I find myself running around the city to replace the bed screws, custom making missing cabinet shelf etc.

My landlord is a middle aged local woman who was very suspicious and stubborn (for example she refused to remove some furniture)

Is there a way out of the lease, as its been less than a week? Have others had similar renting experiences?

Thank you in advance!

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
DNYC 10 yrs ago
Thank you. I have already moved in. My rent period starts tomorrow. The contract says the apartment should be cleaned.... The agent is sort of giving me the run around....

traineeinvestor 10 yrs ago
It depends on (i) what was in the lease and (ii) what the landlady and her agent (if any) said to you before you signed the lease.

If there was a contractual term that the landlady was supposed to clean the apartment before you moved in (which is a faily standard request) and she didn't do it then she is in breach. However, not all breaches give rise to a right to terminate the lease. It may also matter whether the cleaning obligation was in the formal lease or only in the provisional agreement (depending on the drafting).

Furniture and fittings are normally supplied on the basis that they are provided "as is" but in working order and the landlord will be responsible for repair etc (unless caused by tenant's actions that are not "fair wear and tear"). However, the lease can override this so you will need to look at the lease and see what you have agreed to.

On the noise factor, if the representation was made by someone acting as your agent (you say s/he acted as your broker) then you have zero recourse against the landlady. The best you can do is complain to your agent.

If you want to do anything about the situation, I would speak with a lawyer first.

cookie09 10 yrs ago
welcome to hong kong and the standard renting practices here. unfortunately you were a bit naive and both the agent and the landlord a bit tricky when checking the apartment before signing.

go with your contract:

- if it says that the landlord needs to clean, then insist on it.

- if it says that the fridge should not make sound, then insist on it.

- if it says that there is no contractor next door, then insist on it.

IF HOWEVER your contract doesn't say any of these things, you have three options only:

1. move out and lose your 2 months deposit

2. suck it up and live with it

3. stop paying rent and move out after 1.5-2 months when the landlord will be chasing you for the rent. it's illegal but that way you don't lose the whole 2 months deposit. unlikely anyone will be chasing you for the money

DNYC 10 yrs ago
Thank you all for the responses. Do you know of others that may have dealt with similar situations?

Loyd Grossman is Miss Venezuela 10 yrs ago
Getting involved with lawyers over such a small matter is pointless. Just clean up and see if you can sort out the bed and fridge yourself. If you really want new ones, they are not that expensive. As gir construction noise, you will soon adapt. Welcome to HK.

Furey 10 yrs ago
I had a similar experience, the place was very dirty and they had not finished building it. I got back everything except the agency fee. In the UK, few landlords would hand over a property in such an embarrassing disgusting state but it seems the norm here. I've looked at roach infested filthy sheds with collapsing walls and a hole in the floor to poo in. Nasty.

NuinHK 10 yrs ago
HK is the most consumer UNfriendly place I've ever lived (Over 10 cities in the last 30 years.)

coty 10 yrs ago
Unless you can put up with these surprises, it's safer to go for a modern building. The only reason to live in an old walk up is lower price and bigger rooms.

Agents don't just forget to tell you about construction but i've seen ads saying 'quiet' when the place was right next to a big construction site.

Loyd Grossman is Miss Venezuela 10 yrs ago
Yeah but HK is safe. You settle in soon enough.

DNYC 10 yrs ago
Yuen- where do you live???!

OffThePeak 10 yrs ago
"HK is the most consumer UNfriendly place I've ever lived (Over 10 cities in the last 30 years.)"

I don't know what that means.

What do you want, rent control?

I have lives in many places: Boston, NYC, Chicago, London ... as well as HK twice.

I find HK very livable, and cheap - once you sort out your housing. Many Expats do a poor job of doing that, because they cluster in the most expensive areas where other expats live.

Lucane01 10 yrs ago
OTP,

Easiest way to avoid paying sky high rents is to look around - "are there lots of white people walking around?" If the answer is yes then rents are too high in that area.

OffThePeak 10 yrs ago
Haha.

Maybe that is true. I never thought of that is a measure of over-valuation.

HK people are getting richer, so they are paying more for some locations where few whites can be found. Check out the actual location of Park Cosmopolitan, and you will see what I mean.

I told my (chinese) girlfriend that I would "feel like a martian" living in that area. But that does not necessarily mean it is cheap.

Tung Chung is cheaper, and you will find more expats there, do to the proximity to the airport, and the fact that some professionals - like expat teachers, seem to favor the area.

Kkris 10 yrs ago
It's interesting that the expats who cluster the most are the HK Chinese. How many cities have China town, a concentration of Chinese families living in close proximity , similar to conditions in Hong Kong? You don't areas called America Town, or British Town in any major city worldwide. Plenty of China Towns though

Gee Whiz 10 yrs ago
being burgled the first time could be a mistake, the second time is just bad luck, but to be burgled 14 times in 16 months must be sheer carelessness

do you leave your things unsecured and lying all round the place ?

why not just leave your door wide open, that way there will be no surprises for both you or the bugler!

sarah jane jj 10 yrs ago
I live in the Tai Po area my kids school is in Yuen Long its great for shopping and convenient for transport too.Message me if you need any tours or guidance round places.

WhiteBox 10 yrs ago
Welcome to Hong Kong, Outlying island, NT and Sai Kung are great places to live, public transport is excellent or you have a good excuse to get a car, a dog and a kayak. Country life very close to the city Hong Kong is not all about concrete jungles.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad