Contractor

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by sledge 13 yrs ago
im looking for a good contractor with fair prices to do a bathroom job for me, i got a quote from one and it was 250k for 2 showers and one toilet. its a commercial job but fairly small. i have also been told to buy all materials myself and then try find someone to do the labour, and this would cut cost, does anyone no any companies that could help or any advice? any help would be much appreciated

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
rsmith 13 yrs ago
Hi

We have WP Engineering do our renovations and I can tell you that it was a nightmare! They botched the job so badly that we had to get the whole thing re done. They had done illegal wiring in our flat and are now under investigation by the EMSD and the police for other faulty work done! If you need more information about them you can check our the Facebook Group Consumers Against WP Engineering and the web site www.bewareofwpe.com for more information about this company and it's owner Wolfgang Derler

Mog77 13 yrs ago
We used a contractor Barry Chan for most of our apartment who was quite good. Very stubborn but did a good job. You still have to do some ground work with regards to choosing fixtures etc but he will point you in the right direction. I learnt that when he said no there was actually a reason why something couldn't happen rather than no cannot just because - took a few arguments to get that cleared up ;)

We used another contractor by the name of Ronnie who I would not recommend for a bathroom job, bloody nightmare. Took far to long, workmanship was crap. Nice enough guy but had far to many jobs on the go and wasn't into the detail and finishing the job. Still waiting for him to come back nearly a year later to do touch ups!!!!!!

sledge 13 yrs ago
Thanks for all the advice, I'm getting lots of quotes so hopefully some will be better priced.

brianCCP 13 yrs ago
I got one pretty good named Bill Ng the only thing is he barely speak english other then that he did a good jod with my house hangover the house on time everything was spotless.

holiday2d 13 yrs ago
I have a very contractor for property renovation/decoration, with very reasonable price as he is local, you can contact CK Yuen, at his mobile 9227 9777, or email him: circle.square_cc@yahoo.com.hk

Ask him to quote for you as quotation is free of charge. Also, CK is realiable person, he can be contacted at anytimes!!

holiday2d 13 yrs ago
Also, my contractor CK Yuen (as above), I am sure that his quotation must less than 250k for 2 showers and one toilet. You are the expatriate so that they marked up the price. However, CK is fair. Try to contact him.

sledge 13 yrs ago
Cool I think i will give him a call thanks. I have received a few other quotes and they are more reasonable.

alwayshelp 13 yrs ago
I have a contractor working for residential and commercial well with reasonable price.

They got years experience with good reputation from clients.

If you need a contact, pls pm me.

zzzshazam 13 yrs ago
Try Kong Ah in Wan Chai, they are reasonable. Do not under any circumstances use WPE, run by Wolfgang Derler (you'd be better off building it yourself).

rsmith 13 yrs ago
Hettich (Wolfgang)....really? I find that extremely hard to believe given our experience with this shoddy company! Wolfgang and his band of no goods - Roy-Tony - and the lot are as useless as a bunch of drunken sailors on the dance floor!! They operate without proper licensing from the EMSD (who are currently investigating them under 4 different complaints) and the police are also investigating them for the improper installation of windows - which ultimately fell out!!!

If you are still in disbelief check out the Facebook Group Consumers Against WP Engineering and the website www.bewareofwpe.com. As you can see I am not alone in this....there is a group of about 20 people he has wronged!

Oh and during our dealing with Wolfgang he threatened to report us to various government departments....we have the evidence to prove that he was going to do this...

Enjoy the day!

cookie09 13 yrs ago
wolfgang, you are threatening people here with violence if they don't do what you like? not someone i would work with as a contractor

Ed 13 yrs ago
Who's Tony?

rsmith 13 yrs ago
So Wolfgang....you re surface....good to see you here. Then if these stories are not factual then why do you not provide certain clients WR1 forms? Is it because your company is not registered with the EMSD? Is that not factual? Is it not factual that your company is not under investigation by the EMSD x 4 cases and by the cops for a faulty window that fell out of one of your clients homes! Are these lies?

Ed 13 yrs ago
And who's Tony?

Ed 13 yrs ago
But who's Tony?

Milty 13 yrs ago
Sledge, whatever you do, stay away from Wolfgang and WP Engineering. I know from experience. A complete disaster and nightmare.

Milty 13 yrs ago
I would also like to add: Hettich (Wolfgang), you just proved your lack of trustworthiness in this post (yet again!!!). 5 days ago you (Hettich) pretend to be a satisfied client and 2 days ago you defend yourself (as Hettich).

Ed 13 yrs ago
Is Tony a plasterer?

Milty 13 yrs ago
Yeah that's believable Wolfgang. Good try.

Ed 13 yrs ago
Where the hell is Tony? https://youtu.be/zlfKdbWwruY?si=LFe9sopCFglBe6OX

notaeuropean 13 yrs ago
uhhhhh, the window fell out after one year & this is fine with you the contractor? nice warranty! Windows falling from the sky-- just what HK needs to go with the air pollution and general atmosphere of stress and stupidity. BUt a great place for property owners.....

bawlucks 13 yrs ago
what a joke! your company delivers only the highest quality work, but after only one year, the window falls out ?!

im guessing the hundreds of windows falling from the sky in hong kong arent only a year old...

and then you blame it on maintenance!? what maintenance are we talking about here?? i am just letting my windows be. should i be tightening hte screws every six months??! re sealing them ? lol

the fact that you blame your installed windows falling out a year later on maintenance and accept zero responsibility is reason enough to not work with your company.

another typical contractor in hong kong that messes up again and again but doesnt take responsibility

lucy77 13 yrs ago
I can strongly recommend "James" an Australian guy. He and his team (mostly westerner) did a great job. His email is anzacltd@gmail.com. If there are any questions pls fee to PM me. Lucy

scrugby 13 yrs ago
Harris Tso from mountain contracting (info@mountain-contracting.com) is superb. Not the most creative, but takes directions and ideas very well - also highly cost effective. He just renovated my flat about 6 months back, and i've yet to find a single issue. Highly recommended.

Milty 13 yrs ago
Hettich1 aka Wolfgang from WP Engineering. The only clients you have are the ones (like me) who did not do their research on you before contracting you.

If we did, you would have no-one to take advantage of. Like rsmith said, there are about 20 people (that we know of) that you have wronged. 20 people (including myself) are not wrong.

Syed_Scorpio 13 yrs ago
hettich

i dont know who and what your work quality is

but i find your attitude to be nightmare to anyone who seek your service

as a service provider you can't say "warranty over"

learn to take responsibility of your work, and try to get some training if you don't know how to do your job.

BTW only a fool would compare a Mercedez with a window.

and yes windows don't fall out of sky within 1 year even if left unattained for years.

notaeuropean 13 yrs ago
wtf would maintenance be anyway in this case? rebuilding the wall of your flat on a yearly basis?

notaeuropean 13 yrs ago
dont blow smoke-- there is not way to "maintain" the windows i have lived with for 5 years here. WP Engineering -- sounds worse than the black labor outfits all over town.

rsmith 13 yrs ago
Wolfgang the problem is your company WP Engineering installed windows that lacked both stay bars - yes look that up because I know your English is not good - and the wind grabbed them and ripped 1 of them from the hinge!! If you stand by your work why not go the police station and give your statement instead of lying to the police each time they call?

Tony is one of Wolfgang's so called workers!!! He is a supposed certified electrician however, he never produced any certifications to back this up....nor does he provide the required WR1 forms to clients when his sub standard/illegal electrical works are completed! If anyone doubts just call up the EMSD and ask about WP Engineering and how many cases they are currently investigating against them!

Wolfgang...Google will be your enemy!!

Sand_Dragon 13 yrs ago
One year warranty on a window, any self respecting contractor would give at least 3 years. Electricians in HK always carry their certification card and before they even touch a plug they will show it to you.

I've been in the construction game (contractor and client) for 18 years, if anyone came to me with a product with a year warranty they wouldnt last 2 minutes.

This guy sounds like a scam artist, what we call Bodgeit & Scarper Contractors in the UK.

Ed 13 yrs ago
Hey Tony!!! https://youtu.be/S1A0p0F_iH8?si=dZUVsnqn4lthF___

rjsinhk 13 yrs ago
WP owes me a bunch of cash for work they never did.

Shoddy company, wouldn't trust them.

bawlucks 13 yrs ago
obviously by what has been said here by previous clients and the totally unprofessional comments from hettich1, this company is not to be trusted. He has a website dedicated to making sure people dont use his company lol. i for one wouldnt work with him just on that. but after listening to him spout off on here, i definitely wouldnt work with him and his cookie cutter team

Wronged by WP Engineering 13 yrs ago
Dear all

I am just one of the many wronged by WP Engineering Ltd. Interesting indeed the link he puts for the windows. It shows clearly how the hinges should be designed to safely hold the sashes. The windows installed however do not have these safety hinges.

When I personally asked Wolfgang to provide the multi-bar hinges, he said that this is all fine. But I told him I am scared that even with a minor wind, the sash might be smashed against the outside and simply be ripped out! He denied that and said that the single metal bar would suffice. Obviously exactly this happened with the window that did fall out.

I am right now going through renovation of my flat. The entire flat has to be remodeled. All windows are leaking. The bathroom was also leaking and we found out the water had spread to the entire wooden floor. There was no water proofing applied on the tiling.

The entire wooden floor was completely moldy and there was pest infestation throughout.

Also thorough breach of contract was observed with WP Engineering Ltd. and most items delivered had serious flaws as also confirmed by a chartered building surveyor. Many other items were not delivered and massively overcharged. Promised "European style" quality, management and workmanship as per web page and contract, however deliver3d work and material that was below any standard.

WP Engineering did not fix the constructional defects even after they were invited to do so at many instances and denied communication througout and ordered for full payment instead even though many items were still outstanding and the poor project management had lead to a tremendous delay of the renovation and obviously to considerable additional rental costs.

My advice to all:

Do NOT work with WP Engineering Ltd. (and its directors) unless you really want to test your personal resistance to stress and you want to experience the lowest grade of business practice, workmanship, project management - it IS AN EXPERIENCE!!!

Milty 13 yrs ago
It definitely is an experience. I lost 6 months worth of rent and had to change the locks to my apartment because of WP Engineering and then continue to hire a new contractor with additional costs incurred. The work he did was terrible and I am glad I ended up finishing the job with a new contractor who was not only trustworthy but finished the job on time and budget. Something WP Engineering and Wolfgang is not.

Sounds like I was almost lucky. :-o My initial delay was "only" about 2 months but then I had to live in a kind of construction yard for half a year and WP never finished the job. They also denied access not anwering any SMS, emails or phone calls after I paid the 3rd payment as per schedule. That went on for about 2 months. It was very stressful. And with the typhoon season finally came the nice surprises about the continued window leakages (after what they called a "remediation" after 2010's last typhoon that showed leakage). So full re-renovation. Another 3 months obviously of rental loss. So I guess I bid higher than Milty overall! :-)

Any more bets? I mean obviously this is only rental. Damage to property is out of range!

"We have very good plasterer, but we are not cheap as we deliver only the highest quality."

This statement must be slightly corrected/amended for the not well informed:

Plasterer:

The plasterer has rendered workmanship below any standard. There are cracks all over my flat. Many of the plastered areas have detached from the wall after few months.

Cheap:

Yes, this statement is probably one of few correct and true statements made by Wolfgang. WP Engineering Ltd. is definitely not cheap. They actually thoroughly overcharge items and praise high quality and "European style" items and then deliver below grade equipment. Or they simply do not deliver at all and also decline their duty for remediation. Many of the items also come with wrong dimensions.

And also there is quite a bit of surcharge on the quoted price for everything due to the tremendous delays in project and the fact that the projects do not get finished.

Highest quality:

Well, this obviously depends upon your standard. Normally even a medium grade standard of quality would deliver bathrooms that are not leaking, furniture that is according to the design plans, wooden floors that are not completely getting out of shape and folding up and even waterproof windows with required 4-bar hinges might be expected even from lower grade providers.

However WP Engineering delivered none of the above - even though they are "not cheap" (at all)!

Ringo23 13 yrs ago
Who cares what work standard WP carries out...

With his attitude displayed and public posting of names and details, I wouldn't employ this contractor if he was free and I was broke.

Ringo23 13 yrs ago
You're supposed to be a professional. The thread starter is just joe public.

And if you think he is wrong for posting your name, why do you post theirs in retaliation? Two wrongs do not make right.

holiday2d 13 yrs ago
I would rather use local contractor with resonable price! Quote is free from circle.square_cc@yahoo.com.hk

zzzshazam 13 yrs ago
bewareofwpe has managed to steer many potential clients away from WPE and so have the posts here I imagine.

This is probably good news for Wolfgang because he won't have as many complaints against him.

Jokes aside, anyone looking should ask for references and go to the trouble of visiting the premises. They should make sure that all the people involved are licensed contractors. Check and check again. Someone like Wolfgang gets business through a website that exaggerates and lies and then his 'European standards' patter. As you can see by these posts he has failed to deliver time and again. Apart from cases of appalling workmanship to the point of being dangerous and others of never completing projects, he has taken money. He'll ask for a deposit and never start the work. Morally, that is theft. I sincerely hope that his systematic abuse of people results in something extremely unpleasant happening to him. Soon.

roomsummer 13 yrs ago
wolfgang is a fraud. he ripped me off and ran away with my money. consumers beware. classic rip-off artist.

Ed 13 yrs ago
I found some old footage of the Wolfgang: https://youtu.be/Wj7rdzN2xRk?si=3vyah7lR2XSegM4y

Ed 13 yrs ago
Oh... I've just been informed that is NOT Wolfgang... rather it is Wolfman http://www.frightenstein.com/goodies/hhof-wolfman.jpg

My apologies Mr Wolfman...

Ed 13 yrs ago
I have a burned out light bulb. How much will Tony charge to change it? And more importantly, does Tony have the qualification papers to carry out this job?

Milty 13 yrs ago
Good one Wolfgang! I'll believe that the day I hear from a satisfied client of yours .... !!!!!

Anyone who is reading this please stay away from Wolfgang and WPE. Take the time to read this chain and you will see what a crook he is. He also uses multiple names... Hettich, hettich1 and now Carlos93.

There a big group of us who have been wronged by this man. Stay away!!!

Ed 13 yrs ago
Are you ISO9000 certified?

rsmith 13 yrs ago
Once again this how WP Engineering conducts business...they are not listed under the Hong Kong Government's list of Registered Minor Works Contractors (Company), Registered Minor Works Contractors (Provisional) or Registered Minor Works Contractors (Individual) as of August 09-2011.

In so far as the EMSD is concerned they are several investigations on going into WP Engineerings undertaking of unauthorized electrical works in Hong Kong...as they are not a registered electrical contractor with the EMSD.

I have defeated this earthworm with my words! Boom, crush. Night, loser!

Richardchance 13 yrs ago
He is certified for sure !! mentally !! I have a friend who was fixing his car and when it came to paying he refused and ended up insulting his wife & kids and claiming he would make him bankrupt by ruining his reputation,,, something I feel is happening to him now !!

Ed 13 yrs ago
Sometimes I like to lie on the floor and watch my dogs play fight. When you are looking up at them from that perspective you can image they are enormous dinosaurs engaged in an epic battle.

What do you think Wolfman - do you ever do this? I'm on your side - I don't think that is crazy at all.

Richardchance 13 yrs ago
So carlos93, you still got that illegal supercharger on your BMW x5 ? and the only reason you don't go back to "that" mechanic is because he refused to further modify your illegally modified heap of crap and indeed after the threats informed you that he would lay you out flat, something I am sure he still would do given any chance...

Milty 13 yrs ago
Anybody just has to go on facebook and see the group "consumers against WP Engineering" and you will see that the members are all separate individuals. No-one is making up multiple names (like you do) as we have no reason to. You have wronged all these people (including myself). Put simply, you're a crook.

rsmith 13 yrs ago
Hello Wolfgang...not only are you a scum bag but clearly you are a racist to fill out your profile!!! I see you have a problem with Polish people...of which I am not....not that there is anything wrong with Polish people...i know many Polish people and they are all stand up people.

I am not interested in your certificates....I am interested in what the Government of Hong Kong has to say about your company and I have the facts on that. If your so sure about your qualifications and certs then why are you hiding from the EMSD? Why do you not go in for the meetings with them? Why do you not surrender to them and face the fire!!! Look what I’m dealing with, man, I’m dealing with a fool and troll!!!!

Ex_AX_Poster 13 yrs ago
Apropos of nothing, and the first post I have made on here in quite a few years.. but Wolfie was booted off HKExpats.com forum repeatedly for his own particular brand of extreme right wing racism, he was known as Mango over there... His black shirt still hangs neatly pressed in his wardrobe, and his jack boots polished on his shoe rack... I wouldn't want to check his basement though.. Anyone remember the last famous Austrian nutjob to make headlines, the quite charming Mr. Fritzl???

rsmith 13 yrs ago
Haha...pretty funny stuff!!! Ya...seems he has nothing better to do living out in the slums of Hong Kong...sitting on his roof top or sucking back beers in Sou Bar on the roof of Gold Coast shopping Mall moaning about how his clients are soooo mean to him....

I find it rather funny that on the WP Engineering Website he has not referrals since 2008!! Wonder why that is? I also love the way the photos on his site gallery depicting work he has done have the date on them...most of the projects date back to 2006 and 2007!!! Nothing current! He put the dates right on the photos! Maybe they should put some recent projects.

Maybe he should feature the photos on his website...they are from one of his actual projects...these photos are the real deal!!!

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150747075170655.727712.690280654&type=1

Ed 13 yrs ago
Wolfman... you should enter this

rsmith 13 yrs ago
Good to know you OWN your slum...hope it actually has some value....that will come in handy!

Why don't you give your address and we will pass this to the EMSD.

Ringo23 13 yrs ago
Put the bottle down, Wolfgang.

Interesting that you should post videos of your journey to work...

Milty 13 yrs ago
Wolfgang (carlos93), you are out of control. You have wronged so many of us who are still dealing with the repercussions (your posts would suggest you're the uneducated one here so you might want to check that word in the dictionary) of your crappy work.

Anyone reading this looking for a contractor, do not use WP Engineering. You'll regret it just like us all. It will be a huge mistake.

444moral 13 yrs ago
From start to finish we dealt with Mr. Wolfgang over a period of 1 ½ year. “Finish” was when we finally got a chance to throw him out… and this just 1/3 in to a contract which was supposed to take 3 month.

High lights from a long story:

A. Waterproofing of roof:

Preparation: Thin wood boards were placed all through our house to protect our fine wooden floors. When later removed (by me), we found that sand and other stuff had been trapped between boards and floor… now full of scratches and destroyed.

Waterproofing eventually “finish”… however still leaking today.

B. Moving air-con units to new location on roof:

1 week after finish waterproofing, two guys started to move AC units on roof, and for some reason decided that all piping previously hanging on wall, should now be hidden in roof floor.

They cut out a 6-meter long trench in our roof (10 cm deep)… RIGHT THROUGH the new waterproofing!

Workers went home that evening leaving the newly made trench open to the elements… and sure enough… that night came heavy rain.

ZZZ… In living room, 2 floors down, sleeping on sofa, I was abruptly woken when our television EXPLODED… full of water!!!

Other damage: Floors, walls, ceilings & cabinets…

Everything came to a holt, and after 6 month BS the fact was clear… WP Engineering had NO INSURANCE.

Mr. Wolfgang insured ~ don’t worry, me and my wonder team will fix all damage… my reply: Sure.

C. House painting & Bamboo scaffolding:

During this long period, our house had been enclosed in bamboo scaffolding, which by now was half rotten. I eventually got Mr. Wolfgang to finish house painting, and take down the bamboo.

D. Wolfgang’s solicitor:

I received the next invoice from Wolfgang, and now inform him that it was high time for us to separate.

# Next received a letter from Wolfgang’s solicitor demanding next payment, or face consequences for breach of contract.

# My solicitor wrote back with a damage claim of “big amount”…

Since then, no life sign from Mr. Wolfgang…

NB: Windows installed has not fallen out yet…

eddiejake 13 yrs ago
hahaha... this guy is such an idiot!

eddiejake 13 yrs ago
just to be clear, i'm talking about carlos!

eddiejake 13 yrs ago
aka Wolfgang, wolfie, WP Eng. etc...

nimsterfish 13 yrs ago
Sorry to deviate slightly from this topic , I have reached a stalemate with my contractor (5 months and still bare walls, no windows, tiles etc) . We have agreed to part ways , but he is refusing to move his equipment / tools etc out until I pay , still waiting for the bill but anticipating something unreasonable . Yesterday I went to inspect and he had baracaded the front door opening by hammering a large peice of wood over the front door frame, and when i tore that down, I found he had removed the front door handle ! Anyway I kicked the door down (it is only temporarily mounted as we have shifted the main frame) so that i could inspect the property and take photos to document the work to date . Obviously with his history and this behaviour I'm not optimisitic about a peaceful settlement !

My concern is that if his demand is unreasonable , can I remove his stuff and place security door over the open front door to lock him out while we settle the account. i am also worried with his free access to the apartment he may start to sabotage the little work he has done

nimsterfish 13 yrs ago
Thanks Walkup,

The problem is that there is no front door to speak of , so no locks to change . I went to Lockhart Rd yesterday to see if I could get a metal security door to instal over the door opening , but that takes 2 weeks to order. But yes i understand the next step is to prevent his access to the apartment, which is hard given security in the building is slack and he is a familiar face to them anyway and I am aay at work most the the daytime . I will sek legal advise as you suggest , someone also mentioned calling the police if we meet in the apartment and he refuses to leave , trespassing ???

nimsterfish 13 yrs ago
thanks Walkup, I have located a contractor to install a metal security door tomorrow as a first step, then legal action etc can occur without me worrying so much about him sabotaging the apartment.

eddiejake 13 yrs ago
I heard an interesting story today...

Wolfgang from WP Engineering Ltd (aka Carlos93) didn't turn up at his own court case today... Needless to say he lost the case and now owes the defendant money...

sakinaw 10 yrs ago
Too bad I did not see this string years ago.
He sold me an above ground swimming pool. Not only did it leak ion the first day, but the seams were sewn crooked, the galvanized metal supports were already rusting, and the pool railings had giant sharp bolts coming through them just where any kid would grab on. Terrible quality, no response to fix anything. Truly a very very bad person.

Sg Ed 10 yrs ago
Hello

Would you be willing to provide any information about his business? Derler is in a state of personal bankruptcy and we are the primary creditor. I would be interested in knowing more about his business.

Much appreciated.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad