Are They Serious: Used Car Dealers in HK

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by Hightechfriend 12 yrs ago
Hello Everyone

Recently arrived from Australia and trying to complete the simple task of buying a car. At home the normal sequence of events is:

1. Visit Car Dealer

2. Test Drive Car

3. Negotiate and Buy Car

Recent HK experience:

1. Visit Car Dealer

2. Like Car, Ask to Test Drive, Told No Unless Price is Negotiated First and Then Deposit Payable Immediately if Car is OK after Test Drive.

3. Leave Car Dealer Scratching Head

What am I missing? Why would you negotiate the price of a car before you have even driven it? Do the car dealers not think I'm a serious buyer or is this some weird local cultural thing?

I'm afraid I really need a heads up on this one. Look forward to any comments or someone who can direct me to a more 'Western' style car dealer. Experiences so far have mainly involved that big second hand car mart in Kowloon Bay.

Thanks!

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Honkyblues 12 yrs ago
You're probably best off going to Vin's Motors:

http://www.vinsmotors.com.hk/home.php

We bought from there and I know many other expats who are happy with Vin's prices and service. Vin's staff speak great English, are very accommodating and I don't think they are rip-off artists. We shopped around and they gave us the best price for a trade-in by quite a long margin!

Had our car from them for 3 years and it's given us no problems.

You go to their Tai Hang office and they will drive you out to their warehouse in Kornhill (or somewhere near there).

Happy car shopping!

Ed 12 yrs ago
http://hongkong.asiaxpat.com/classifieds/automobiles-%28owners%29/

mrs.don 12 yrs ago
in my opinion I think he/her is cheating on you. a normal hongkonger should truly understand how important it is to make a negotiation first before make a deal. it's abnormal that he/her doesn't let you to test the car......it's not weird local cultural thing but just because that dealer is weird. (Actually I think that car should have some problem).

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad