Shenzhen Dangerous

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by HK01 17 yrs ago
The moral of your story should be don't play the tough guy and chase people around in an eviorment you are not familiar with or are not from... You stuff was not missing, so what were you trying to prove by chasing him.

Most everyone knows not to travel there with a backpack and if you do, to carry it in fromt of you, and certinally not have your passport or phone in it.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Claire 17 yrs ago
Shenzhen dangerous? This is not news. Many countries have issued travel warnings about place.

car_lover 17 yrs ago
Not so true Dick Bush. A friend, local guy, went to Shenzhen and got rob in broad daylight. When u exit the Shenzhen immigration, there is a huge space right in front whr people are hanging out, he was approach by 3 guys and 1 told him to let go of his bag and at first, he thought he cld take all 3 down, bt later notice, another 4 guys approaching and quickly let go of his bag. They will rob u anywhere, not just in the alley.

lambada 17 yrs ago
I think Shenzhen is getting worse. I had $1000 RMB stolen last visit by a pickpocket. Thank God I had the sense to leave my credit cards etc at home. I've known several people who have been beaten up and robbed. They often copying credit cards and use them in other countries. Also the coins and notes are often fake. Half the time the electronic stuff is rubbish and breaks down. Although the people are generally lovely, the guys can get nasty if you go out and talk to the girls. I use to laugh when HK locals told me it was too dangerous but I tend to agree now. Why bother? I kind of wonder why the PRC government doesn't crack down on it before everyone gives up on the place. It's such a shame.

Tinky 16 yrs ago
How safe is it for two women to head to Lo Wu on their own?They are first timers.

ceeh 16 yrs ago
Tinky, despite what is written above I have been going to Shenzhen regularly for five years and I have never felt threatened or insecure at the LoWu shopping mall. I am happy to go on my own or with friends but I would suggest that if you are a first timer it would be better to enrol with the YWCA or Australian Assoc (or similar) to join their guided 'shopping trip'.

Doing it this way will show you the ropes, give you some idea of how much you should pay and which shops are best for what you want.

Having said that I would not feel safe going to outer Shenzhen on my own - would always do it with a group, not just two people unless I had a guide or local to show me around.

As in any city you need to be aware of what is going on around you.

the goddess kali 16 yrs ago
tinky i've lived in Shenzhen for 2 years now and have found it perfectly safe. Luo hu border is ripe pickings as it's full of hong kongers coming with money to shop in horrible luo hu commercial center.

evildeeds 16 yrs ago
Been in and out of the place well over 100 times now and to be honest you just have to take care like in any other big city. Pickpockets, bag snatchers do not make a place dangerous as such.

Simple to follow advice - never put items in back pockets, always the front. Some pickpockets are good for the front as well so untuck your shirt or t-shirt, not only will you look cooler you will also add another line of defense. People rarely snatch bags now since they banned motorcycles from the city centre but the hand in the backpack and sometime the slashing of the bottom of a backpack do happen. Don't keep important stuff in easy reach, buy a good laptop bag with floating pocket, something like a Samsonite with a good hard bottom is ideal.

As Kali mentioned above LuoHu can be a bit of a hot spot as can crowded places around Dongmen. But that is similar to other cities. Outskirts of Shenzhen, where I spend much of my time now, is a different story. Still uncontrolled and even as a man we travel in at least 2's at night in these places.

missdj 16 yrs ago
I've been to Shenzhen many many times and to LoWu Commercial shopping centre. Great shopping, but I have never traveled alone, always with a friend. Never had any problems, but do leave credit cards, etc at home. I usually take a packpack and very small over the shoulder chest purse. I keep passport and cash in it. Purchase in the backpack. I alsostash little bits of money in different pockets, so if they take some, I at least am left with some cash. Or if you feel safer, use a money belt or something similar. Dong men and LoWu are the more dangerous areas. I have shopped in other areas in Shenzhen and feel much safer and enjoy the shopping.

mayita 16 yrs ago
Hello Miss DJ,

Which are these other areas in SZ which are much safer than DongMen & Lo Wu ?

Thanks for the advice about credit cards !

Bayliner1901 16 yrs ago
There is no one area that's safe in this world. The safety starts with yourself where being aware of your surroundings, how well you secure your personal belongings and avoid quiet streets or alleys... Dongmen and Lo Wu do have more crooks, but if they can't easily get to your thngs, then they can't harm you. Most are pick pocketers, not robbers by gun or knife or by force... There are too many people and plain clothes police in the area... Anyway, "Wa Keung Bei" area is a better place in comparsion, but not safe proof....

nixodian 13 yrs ago
.......a little late to this thread, nonetheless so true, sz is rampant wi low lives and all types of thieves incl pickpocketers, swindlers.

l foolishly got done twice, once in a shopping center, mixc? where a wallet of 3000rmb, hkid, etc got stolen. sickening. not so much the money but also my identity cards. second time, l was with my wife and naively had my back pack behind me, well we were out for about 5mins, before discovering all three compartments were unzipped and wallet stolen. now l only carry cash l require, no identity cards etc, and ALWAYS have backpack on front

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad