Da Fen art village, Shenzhen

Search  
ORIGINAL POST
Posted by antoniahk 17 yrs ago
Has anyone been there recently? Any tips? All the previous posts I can find are from a long time ago...

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Goloh 17 yrs ago
Yes I have. You can take a bus right from Lo Wu City, and if you can find an old post I made, nothing has changed about route number. A couple of weeks ago the bus was RMB3. Alternatively, a taxi will go there but you should bargain in advance. Maybe RMB60 or so. The main building indoors (on the right side and down the hill a little from the road going north) has many shops. Behind there, the individual stalls go in every direction, and a few have their own artists-in-residence who will do originals or copy anything. One side note about Da Fen, it can be hard to find anything to eat there in the way of a cafe or restaurant.

namaste 17 yrs ago
Yes. I've been many times and my husband goes often. There are a slew of buses from Lo Wu but they get really crowded and are quite uncomfortable. Better to take a taxi for $40-$60.

forest 16 yrs ago
I want to go tomorrow 1st April (no jokes...) I leave HK day after my husband is not keen for me to go on my own anyone keen?

BJGHK 16 yrs ago
dont go on your own... is safe once there, but I would be wary of taxis unless you speak chinese... go a lot and never felt unsafe but wouldnt go alone. it is ace when you do go though.

cagent 16 yrs ago
How exciting! I will be coming to HK for a holiday in 2 weeks time and will be there to live in August. I was just wondering if there was such a place in Shenzhen and then I came across this thread. I would love some formal portraits painted. What is the going rate for a large, say 75cm x 50cm family portrait?

Any other tips?

Wincy 15 yrs ago
I was in Dafen a few years ago and there was a fabulous little coffee shop with great coffee. Does anyone know if it's still there? I'm planning to go back soon.

dasia 15 yrs ago
Wincy, not sure where your coffee shop was a few years ago but can tell you there are two coffee shops right alongside each other that sell great coffee.

I have been ging there regularly over the last couple of years and am sure the two I am talking about have only been in operation over the past 12 months.

They are on a corner on the second or third street/lane facing the main road and one of the entrance/exits gates. You can sit inside the shop or outside under the trees on the footpath. ALmost gives the feel of Paris (stretching a little I know) sitting there, coffee in hand and all the artists around you.

DaHKGKid 15 yrs ago
Agree with P.M. this is what we do. Be careful as this is before CNY so everyone needs money to watch out for pick pockets however get ready to make some excellent deals.

Wincy 15 yrs ago
Dasia, thanks for the update on the coffee situation in Dafen. I guess the one I went to has closed but the one you describe sounds wonderful. Hope to get there soon.

mary11 15 yrs ago
Anyone interested to go the Art Village soon, like next sunday 5.april 2009?

dasia 15 yrs ago
dadda,

we were in Dafen on the weekend. The prices range from RMB8 for A4 size canvases for Childrens rooms to RMB70,000 for a magnificent portrait of a very old Chinese women begging. I would have dearly loved the one of the beggar but the artist would not budge as far as the $$$'s went.

We bought a very large mounted and framed painting (by a 'famous' Chinese artist) of a Beijing Opera performer and agreed on a price which was roughtly 20% lower than the asking price with free delivery to Hong Kong Island.

I have seen the 'famous' artist's work in HK with a price tag 3 to 4 times more than asked in Dafen.

So...if you see something you like state your price and move up to a mutually agreeable figure.

English is not widely spoken in the village but they are very friendly and will run and get an English speaking person to help out if needed.

ALso note that not many take credit cards - in fact the ones that do like Chinese or HK cards, not those of overseas banks. Cash is the preferred mode of payment.

bakfaiyau 15 yrs ago
Dafen has a fantastic range of every type of art. The longer you spend there the more you will find. There are restaurants there too, good Hakka food - you just need to look around. Get hold of the map of Shenzhen in English in Dymocks bookstores and it will show you how to get there.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad