Shenzhen Only Visa at Border??

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by magellan5 16 yrs ago
It seems a lot of people are talking about China stopping issuing tourist visas at the border now... I know for a fact that they have stopped issuing multiple entry visas for PRC, but I am still getting conflicting info on the Shenzhen visa at the LoWu border? Both the Shnagri-La and my tailor seem to think you can still get them there, although they have put the prices up HEAPS - Has anyone done a trip in the last week and confirm??

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Mummy2time 16 yrs ago
Hi Magellan5

No visas are being issued at the Lowu border. You have to apply for a single or double entry visa in Hongkong and go to Shenzhen. Went there last week itself and hence know about this.

Tourist traffic has dropped and the mall was pretty empty.

magellan5 16 yrs ago
Well I stood in the queue at the China Resources Building for an hour and a half on Monday and got a double entry visa.. But when I went up to Shenzhen on Thursday, the office where i normally get the Shenzhen only visa (upstairs) was still open! - albeit with a pretty short queue... I didn't ask anyone whether I could have got one there though...

beautyful 16 yrs ago
Has anyone gotten any visa at the border? Pls share. How long does it take to get visa at the China Resources Bldg? How much do you pay just to go to Shenzen for urgent?

ceeh 16 yrs ago
kerri - did you have to produce your HK ID?

biene 16 yrs ago
Now HK ID has to be produced if you want to get a visa at the Lo Wu border office. As of 1st May they will be changing to 2 offices/areas - one for those with HK ID and one for those without. Still only able to get single entry valid for 5 days. On Saturday the queue was long and it took 3 hours to get the visa!

sile 16 yrs ago
Do you have to be a permanant resident to get a visa at Lo Wu border or just an ID card holder. I keep hearing conflicting information. I'm asking because now to get a China visa, you have to apply from your home country unless you are a permanant resident. Was wondering if it was the same at the border?

mary11 16 yrs ago
Any Australian who tried to get a VISA at the border in Shenzhen recently?

I want to go this Sunday, with my australian friend, she is HK ID card holder (not permanent). How much does the visa cost for aussies?

Thanks, hope someone can help me

Tootsnbelle 16 yrs ago
I just came back from Shenzhen today - I am an Australian passport holder and have a non-permanent resident HK ID card. I managed to get a 5 day Shenzhen area visa at the Lo Wu border today and I didn't have to wait in line at all - took about five minutes and costs is still the same $150HK.

mary11 16 yrs ago
Thank you. Looks like LoWu border works fine,

they have to let some HKese in, otherwise the people in the mall loose their income. As I understand. It would have worked at the border, but we have changed our plan to Stanley and go for shenzhen after the olympics. I have a multiple vias for work and am too scared they gonna cancel it on the way out.

debnbruce 16 yrs ago
I went to Lo Wu last Friday (16 May) and enquired at the Visa office. Depending on which country you are from originally (Australians and Brits qualify) holders of HKID cards can get visas at the border. Of course, this information could have changed by the next day!

biene 16 yrs ago
We were there yesterday - 25th May - only holders of HK ID cards can now get visas at the border, everyone else needs to go to Wanchai and queue up to get theirs. Sometimes they even ask for the id at the passport control, but I know at the visa issuing office they ask to see it

diqiuren 16 yrs ago
Lots of people, Hong Kong ID or no Hong Kong ID getting the 5 day visa. If you haven't got HK ID, you haven't got it, so long as your are western with Passport and you're OK.

The_Moog 16 yrs ago
Do British passport holders have the same 'Shenzhen-Only' visa concession?

debwil 16 yrs ago
Friend on NZ passport with no HKID was denied visa at Lowu boarder crossing today.

evildeeds 16 yrs ago
"Is there anybody knows if I can go to Zhongshan, even the issued visa stated 5 days only in shenzhen. I tried to go to Guangzhou last time but worried that I broke the visa rules."

If you have have got your visa at the border it is valid for the Shenzhen Economic Zone (SEZ) only. This does not include the whole of Shenzhen, just the part designated SEZ. So travel to Guangzhou or Zhongshan would most certainly be illegal and could result in arrest if stopped at checkpoints. And yes they do sometimes stop vehicles / people at checkpoints.

"Do British passport holders have the same 'Shenzhen-Only' visa concession?"

If you hold HKID you should still be able to get a visa at the border. There is no concession as such.

sunnysarah 16 yrs ago
what options does a Canadian passport holder without HKID card have to get a Shenzhen visa?

Apply in Canada before visit, apply in Wan Chai or apply at border?

Thank you!

evildeeds 16 yrs ago
Canada would be the best option. Possible in Wan Chai but expect a wait of days. Without HKID border is impossible at the moment.

magellan5 15 yrs ago
It appears that the border restrictions have been relaxed, enabling multi-entry visas again. I have visitors arriving soon though - can anyone confirm that non-HKID holders can get a Shenzhen only visa at the border now?? Thanks

MCaroline 15 yrs ago
I went with an Australian friends this Wednesday. She has permanent HK ID and got her visa at the Lo Wu office. It is under renovation so only two desk there but we were the only ones.

She had to pay RMB 600 and they do not take HK money anymore.

Prices in Lo Wu have gone up though, and they prefer RMB than HK dollars. They put price up quite a lot if you pay in HK.

Armadillo 15 yrs ago
I have a uk passport,and I got one at the border on Sunday, the price us now 490 for uk. They only accept rmb, so if u don't have the right currency you have to go through the border, and it is a real nightmare. Not all nationalities can get them though, I believe Americans can't, and I saw Filipinos being sent back too.

Prices are the same if you pay in rmb, but they do charge more if u pay in hkd due to exchange rates.

Btw I don't have id and I still got it at the border

manam 15 yrs ago
Anybody aware if Indian passport holders can get 5 day Shenzhen Visa on arrival at Lowu?

zarafour 15 yrs ago
I would like to ask if the mall is functioning well or closed during the X-mas hols?

lace 15 yrs ago
Christmas is not a holiday in China, so the mall is open.

Coffee Queen 15 yrs ago
This is true, but you can apply for a six month or more at the Chinese Consulate in Wan Chai. If you have a Permanent HK visa, you can apply for up to three years. Sometimes they will only do one though. Depends on how happy the person is that process your visa is at the time. Good luck.

MommyTo3 15 yrs ago
I went in December with a friend. I have a multiple entry but she didn't have a visa. She was able to buy one for RMB160 (so make sure you have money), it took about 10 minutes, no waiting, very easy. We're EU citizens (non-British).

jeeta 15 yrs ago
Hi what about indian ppt will they get the Visa on arrived at Shenzhen. Pls help

JB13 15 yrs ago
Can someone please confirm that British citizens holding a HKID will still be granted a shanzhen only visa at Lo Wu border and give an aprox price. If travelling over Chinese New Year should i expect heavy queues or problems? Thanks

magellan5 15 yrs ago
I have a friend who is a UK passport holder (with HKID)and though she could always get a visa at the border, she was charged more for it - and so she always got one in HK. It was 450HKD, but now they are charging RMB at the visa office I don't know what it is... As for CHinese New Year, expect the trains and border crossing to be really busy, but the shopping will probably be quiet. I was there last week, and most of not all of the tailors are shutting down, also some other shops (bags etc) - this is their one holiday a year!

Harjeet Singh 15 yrs ago
Hi Simon,

You can contact (CTS) China Travel Service at 2315 7188 / 2851 1700. You ask for the address of their branch near your area and provide them the documents they need for visa application. They need the below documents and you can get a 15 days single entry visa to China valid to travel anywhere in China. I just got it done for my brother.

* Valid Passport

* 1 Photo

* Airticket for the return journey to India

* Visa fee $310 (Normal 4 working days)

Hope this helps.

vak 15 yrs ago
Hi XD simon. My 68 yr old mother in law also visited from India 8 weeks ago . She has been to HK 3-4 times , extensively travelled in Europe and USA over the past 30 years. She wanted to visit CHina so we went to Sun Hung Kai centre and CTs as well for a China Visa for her. The rules were v clearly explained as follows. If you DO NOT HAVE A HK ID you will not get a China Visa in HK for an INDIAN passport . The only exception to this is for people who have Indian Passports, and Have been to CHina at least once before and have an invitation letter , even if its for tourism. If you do not meet this criteria, they recommend you to apply for a visa from the Chinese consulate in Delhi before coming here. Since the rules get changed so often and their interpretation varies from staff to staff, you should go through the CTS website or visit one of their offices. Most offices have at least one v good English speaker.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad