Need divorce related advice urgently.

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by Shweta.step 11 yrs ago
Hi,

I and my husband are Indians but settled in HK for last 3+ years. We've been married for 9.5 years now and have a 19 months old son. In last 5+ years we've had a very turbulent marriage but I was still trying to make it work all the time. My husband however, had been behaving very irresponsibly for a really long time. He used to leave for work at 7am in the morning and come back very late in the night only to sleep and would go out even on weekdays for entire time. A lot of times he'd go out of HK for weeks or months for work and wouldn't call. Recently he told me that sometimes even if he was in HK, he'd stay in a hotel and tell me he was away on pretext of work. He never really spent a single day at home since my son was born. He stopped communicating and sharing a long time back and kept me in total dark about what was happening in his life whether related to finances, job or anything else. It was almost like I'd been living with a stranger for all these years clinging to a hope that things will fall in place eventually. However, my husband took away even this hope from me 2 weeks back as he declared that he wanted a divorce. He'd been planning and preparing for it for a long time and I’d no clue about it. It had come to a complete shock to me and my whole family. He is giving me grounds which are really vague. He says we are not compatible and he can't deal with it anymore. He says he's not attached to me and our son at all and wants all this to get over as soon as possible. I left my work in HK when my son was born as I had no help with my son. Now I don't work and had been completely dependent on my husband for finances. My HK dependent visa is getting expired on 13th Sept and my husband said he won't get it extended. My parents are in HK these days and my husband has booked a flight for all of us to go back to India on 4th Aug and he wants to file a divorce petition in India. Up until now we haven't started any legal process as yet. My question is should I file my petition in HK or India? In India the system and laws are very long, twisted and unreliable. I would prefer to end this marriage in HK as I have faith in the fairness of the system here. How can I proceed with it in this case? I don't have enough money to get a lawyer. I've very few days left with me to act on this. Please help.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
cookie09 11 yrs ago
i would definitively suggest to file for divorce in hong kong and I would do it right away, since the first place of filing (usually) takes precedence.

i would also get access to the joint bank accounts immediately if you don't have access already.

call immigration department on your visa status. i think it's protected during divorce proceedings as long as he remains in hong kong.

there are self-help groups out there, but i don't know offhand.

Shweta.step 11 yrs ago
@cookie09

I don't have any join account with him in HK or that I remember. I'm going to legal aid on Monday and visit immigration after that. I don't want any trouble for him still but I think I can't afford to think about him anymore else it makes me week. I'm just thinking about our child's future now and I'll do what it takes to get a fair settlement done in HK. Thanks a lot for the self help group idea. I didn't think of that before. I found out Soultalk and spoke to the director there. She was really helpful in adding to my perspective.

snowywind 10 yrs ago
Hi,

My case is similar to it.. Can you please suggest me how to get help for the visa..I have been here for 4 years, and now we are also going for divorce.. And my husband doesn't want to sponsor my visa anymore.. What to do?

We dont have any kids & are getting mutual divorce but still i dont want to loose my HK Citizenship till the time we are done with the divorce (for my own safety & security).

Can anybody please suggest me some way out.. I tried searching for some employers but couldn't find any.. Please help

snowywind 10 yrs ago
Thank you Malka

Studies are so much expensive here.. I am seriously confused.. I have been here for 4 years and now i have to let go of my HK PR. No chances of new boyfriend or husband as i am not in that state of mind.

Lets see how it goes.

snowywind 10 yrs ago
Hello Malka,

yeah i know that but it doesn't help me.. I am not feeling good about it.

But Thank you for your concern though :)

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad