Renewing UK passport in HK

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by Observer 11 yrs ago
I would be interested in hearing any recent experience about how long it now takes to renew a UK passport in HK. The last time I did so was back in 2010, since when the system has been changed, with the issue being handled somewhere else and apparently taking more time.

Thanks in advance for any up to date information.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
spurtio 11 yrs ago
It now takes about 4 weeks as they courier (you pay for the courier) your passport to London for renewal. They then courier it back again (you pay again). It is a real pain. There is no express service.

If you are heading back to UK you can get it done in 24 hrs at any of the passport offices.

You can get it renewed up to 6 months before it expires.

Observer 11 yrs ago
Thanks for your reply. This is a disaster - 4 weeks and no express service...and they consider that this is progress???? I will see if there is an express service to the UK that I can arrange from HK, as I basically never go back there. As you say, a huge pain.

Thanks again for your help.

angusbeeff 10 yrs ago
I renewed my UK passport 10 years ago in Australia and I wrote down I had an air ticket booked end of the month(only got less than 3 weeks time), and would like them to sort it out for me asap.

I posted all the documents needed to them via express without hopes since they replied me by email said it would take 4 weeks no matter what

however, I received my passport in 16 days, as what i rmb, I supposed they used express courier for me(not sure) I was amazed.

Just try to tell them you r in hurry anyway if you ve got no choice but renew in HK, they might get it done sooner than you expected

col1174 10 yrs ago
Thing is now applications are dealt in the UK which takes time, and I hear they are suffering from backlogs. There is a new company, British Connections, run by ex-Passport examiners who will deal with the process for you. Seeing as they did the job themselves I'm guessing they will be able to ensure it is done in the quickest time with the least fuss. You can reach them at info@britishpassports.com.hk

Observer 10 yrs ago
Thanks for this information, have you used this company yourself yet ?

PCB711 10 yrs ago
I talked to the UK passport office yesterday as i have a problem which i guess is not unique. I need to renew my passport as its nearly full, i live in HK but travel to China for work twice a week. The passport renewal process takes at least 4 weeks which effectively means i cant go to work in my Shenzhen office for this period as you need to surrender your current passport as part of the renewal process.

I tried to explain to the customer service supervisor that this was an issue and what could they do, basically he was reading from a scripted response to explain that this was the proces and i had to follow it, not a care that i couldn't work but did suggest i could renew in the UK using the fast track, obviously a bit of an expensive option but sadly something i might just have to do.

does anyone else have this issue, are there other options.

gadget13 10 yrs ago
Thing is now applications are dealt in the UK which takes time, and I hear they are suffering from backlogs. There is a new company, British Connections, run by ex-Passport examiners who will deal with the process for you. Seeing as they did the job themselves I'm guessing they will be able to ensure it is done in the quickest time with the least fuss. You can reach them at info@britishpassports.com.hk

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad