Please advice on dispute with the landlord

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by dwb0707 10 yrs ago
Hi all,

I have recently an issue with the landlord regarding the end of the tenancy and I need your advice.

Normally I should move out the premise at 21 May 2014. I thus bought a new apartment in DB for my family. But the new apartment will only be available by the end of July (need proper renovation).

I thus discussed with the landlord long before 21 May. She acted kindly and promised to help us in finding a solution. But she and her husband came at 8 May without prior notification to ask my wife to sign a document. My wife and kid were terrified and she didn't open the door. The landlord only left after the police ordered them to do so.

They filed a complaint against us to the Lands Tribunal asking for mesne profit starting from 23 May, citing it as the end of the tenancy.

To be honest, I would prefer to pay them the rental for the following two months with deposit, because I don't think they will return my deposit after the tenancy terminates.

I was told many tenants did this and I don't know if I can do it and citing financial pressure as a reason for doing so. (As I said I bought a new apartment at DB and that costs me a lot). The most important thing is I need to stay in the premise until 31 July. I don't want to move to a temporary apartment with my baby being just 4 months old.

Does anyone have any suggestion? Thanks in advance.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
cookie09 10 yrs ago
just tell them that they can use the deposit for the last two months rent. not super proper but should be ok in this case

dwb0707 10 yrs ago
I was on business travel out of HK that day. The LL punched the door really heavily so my wife was terrified considering we have a 4 months old baby.

I tried to repair relations but was played by them... And it was not the first time we were played...

So I'm really afraid that if I pay them rent properly, I may not receive my deposit smoothly. I know it's not a proper action, but like many tenants in HK, we try to protect ourselves since the law does not do that.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad