Landlord refusing to return rent deposit

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by Duncoru 8 yrs ago
Hi there,
We vacated our previous apartment 2 weeks ago. When my husband had the final inspection with the landlord and agent the agent arranged for a property surveyor to attend as we had a feeling we were going to have issues. They spent 2 hours going through the apartment and the landlord was trying to pick at everything.
The surveyor ruled on an amount that we should have to pay (which I thought was too much, but this landlord is mentally unstable and we had been receiving in excess of 50 messages a day so we agreed - there were a few things that needed fixing, although we could have argued wear and tear).
Upon handover of the keys a written agreement was signed by all parties agreeing to the amount to be returned to us and the date it was to be returned by (within 7 days).
During the week we kept receiving further messages saying that she had now found this and that broken and would be deducting it from the agreed amount, we sent repeated very clear messages back saying this was unacceptable and we would only accept the amount from the agreement.
Sure enough the 7 days have gone past and we don't have our money back. She said we might get some of it back in a few days but she needs to 'get more deductions'. She is sending photos of things that I believe she has broken and saying $3000 here, $4000 there.
What is the next step? She is now in my books a common thief.
We have a written agreement signed from both parties for the return amount and date and we had a surveyor present during handover.
This woman is driving me insane!!!!

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Jilo 8 yrs ago
Hello Duncoru,

Did you succeed to solve this deposit matter already?
Apparently there is a small claims court in Hong Kong.
I'm moving out soon and my landlord seems to be from the same club as yours.

On a side note, how much did you pay for the property surveyor?

Thanks,

Duncoru 8 yrs ago
Hi there,
Just an update on the situation. Landlord offered us 3000 less than agreed amount on the condition we signed another agreement, we refused and she cracked it. She has instead deducted a further 10,000 and deposited the rest into our account. She now has taken 25,000 of our money. We have the paperwork to file for the remaining 10,000 at small claims tribunal, which I will hopefully be able to do tomorrow.
The surveyor was arranged through our agent so it was no cost to us.
We are seriously considering suing for more than the 15,000 we agreed to as we have rechecked our contract and there is a clause for wear and tear. Would that be a bit too cheeky? She has been messing us around for several weeks now and the harassment via What's App is ridiculous.
On a side note she has said if we take her to small claims she will sue us for 'delaying the next renters contract' and her wages as she has apparently had to take 2 weeks off work to fix the apartment.

Jilo 8 yrs ago
Sue you, seriously?

That is like the police could not detain a thief because this way they might impede his stealing activity and therefore having an harmful effect on his income

Back to the matter, maybe you can tell us where you live or/and location address or the name of the landlord so we could try to
avoid being trapped into similar nightmares.

Good luck,

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad