Divorce Advice for Filippino

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by PLAXTON 10 yrs ago
Dear All, any advice on this would be much appreciate:
My helper got married in the Philippines to another Filippino about 15 years ago and they had 1 daughter. The marriage broke down. He has got a job in Canada and has been there more than 1 year. The daughter remains in the Philippines, visiting her mother in HK regularly and the mum lives here in Hong Kong. Her estranged husband has filed divorce papers on her from a court in Ontario and these were served on her by the mother in law. My understanding is that divorce in the Philippines is not easy to get. My question is two fold - anyone know if a) she has to respond at all acknowledge his filing of divorce in Canada and b) if a divorce is granted to him without her knowledge in Canada would this be upheld in the Philippines? If anyone has any knowledge of this or can advise who I could speak to it would be hugely appreciation. Many thanks in Advance.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Oski 10 yrs ago
I am not a lawyer, but based on my basic understanding of law, I do not think the Canadian court can proceed without her participation or consent.
Since she is not a Canadian resident, or physically in Canada. The Canadian court (most likely) does not have full jurisdiction to pass judgement on this marriage.
If a divorce is granted by the Canadian court without her participation, it is very unlikely that the divorce will stand up in the Philippines. (however, if he does not plan to resettle in the Philippines, it probably does not matter to him.)
My best guess is, if she ignores the case, the Canadian court cannot proceed. (I don't see any legal authority for the Canadian court to compel her to do so, and therefore cannot pass judgement in her absence.)

maloumilanbilin@gmail.com 10 yrs ago
Gud pm.i need an advise.im.separaredto my husbamd for so.long.im.here in hongkong
i.want to.file.divorced here in hk.where i can.file.divorced
and.what i.need.to.preparef

linda25 10 yrs ago
hi Plaxton,
I am a Filipina and i know a little bit about divorce in philippines. You can message me directly in my inbox if you are interested. and we can discuss on what,s best for your helper.

linda

elleine8838 10 yrs ago
Dear All,

Philippines has no divorce. Annulment yes.

Thanks,

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad