Can't get flat deposit back

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by weeean 9 yrs ago
Hi,
I'm in a pretty unusual situation. My landlord recently informed me that she was selling the flat and wanted to show people around. Rather than wait until it sold and I got kicked out (I'd being living there longer than the 1 year break clause) I found a new place to live and gave my one month notice.

I have since moved out, the flat has been sold and my one month notice has expired. But now the landlord is refusing to meet with me to get the keys and give my deposit back. The reason being, I'm guessing, is because she has sold the flat. She doesn't need the keys, she can just get a locksmith to change the lock. And if she never meets me she never has to give my deposit back.

Any suggestions on what I can do here?

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Havelin 9 yrs ago
Take her to the Small Claims Tribunal- This is an informal, quick and inexpensive venue for
monetary claims of $50,000 or less. Claims may be made for arrears of rent, refund of deposit
or damage to property. Parties are not allowed to be represented by lawyers and the rules of
evidence are relaxed. The Small Claims Tribunal is located at 4th Floor, Wanchai Tower, 12
Harbour Road, Hong Kong. Its telephone hotline is 2877 4068. It may also be contacted by fax
(2587 9139) or over the internet (www.judiciary.gov.hk).

scorpio01 9 yrs ago
i have learned this from experience, never move out all your belongings (i kept a table and chair till landlord came in handed me cheque for the deposit), and once i get the deposit take out my table and chair and hand over the keys after they signed receipt of apartment back in good condition.

Give a notice by e-mail and send a copy by registered post, and then if anyone forcibly change lock or move in, you can always call police and tell them that your stuff has been stolen, i am sure new owner and old would be wise enough to not get in that sort of trouble.

sunshine929 9 yrs ago
Go and do a property land search. It is quick and inexpensive.

She may well have sold it but title to the property may not have been assigned/ transferred.

If that is the case, then in addition to making a small claims case, you can speak to Lands Registry to register a charge against the property. She can't sell till she gets back the deposit from what I know.

And also post a letter to your old address to the new owner...

and if there is a mortgage, then inform her bank.

Loyd Grossman is Miss Venezuela 9 yrs ago
If the flat was sold with tenancy, your deposit will have been transferred to the new owner.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad