Early termination of Tenancy Agreement

Search  
ORIGINAL POST
Posted by chongmy 10 yrs ago
I've rented an apartment and signed for 2 years fixed contact. I'm intended to return to my country of origins and had expressed to my landlord about early termination of the tenancy contact. Upon hearing about this early termination, my landlord very angry and has set a few conditions for me
He said since I breached the contract, I have to pay 11 months balance rental. And since the sum is not small, he had reconsider and wants me to pay for the agency fee for getting new tenant. The agency fee will be based on the new rental amount he going to charge the new tenant. He also asking me to pay for the stamp duty for the new contract with the new tenant, I have to bear the free rental period granted to the new tenant. On top up that, the two months deposit will be forfeited. Does landlord have all the bargain power to demand so much? I've checked through some legal website that fixed contract can be terminated earlier if there is break clause. Since I can't read Chinese and unaware of the practice here in Hong Kong. I'm depending on the agent and my colleague tui interpret the tenancy agreement to me before signing. Is there any law that protect tenant that faces such demanding landlord?

Please support our advertisers:

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad